1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

anyone know anything about Jet Direct Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raz, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I have been given a printer to look at which has trouble printing. I know it has a jet direct card and have a feeling that my troubles lie with this but know very little about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some net resources since i can not find much myself.

I need to know how to test it out.

Thanks
    Raz

2. paul selhi

paul selhi

what is the problem ? can it print anything at all ?

if nothing then have you given the printer an ip address ( assuming you are on a tcp/ip lan) ?

is the ip address valid ( same subnet as workstation ?)

are you using a print server ? is this configured correctly ?

is it plugged in ? ;) ( sorry had to slip that one in !!)

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Depending on the printer model you can sometimes print a self test page (from the printer control panel) which will also print out the settings of the jet direct card. Many times the settings just get blown away and need to be replaced. If this is a newer HP printer you can usually program the jet direct card through the printers control panel.

Oh yes if the test print shows that the I/O (jet direct card is ready then you have a connection to the LAN. BOL

4. littlemar

littlemar

FYI

If it's an external jet direct box you can reset it by turning off the printer and then unplug the printer from the box then reverse this order to start up again.

5. gustac

gustac

First of all, a Jet Driect card is used for putting the printer on a network. You probably already knew this. Check the manual on how to reset the network settings on the printer. Some models you unplug and plug back in, some you turn off and hold a button then turn it back on. It varies quite a bit. This should reset your card. If you don't need to put it on a network, it probalby needs the drivers re-installed on it.

6. raz

raz Thread Starter

thanks i have a HP laserjet 2100m with a jet direct card 610N and have tried to print a self test page unfortunately no card detail were printed.

The card light is on and cable is plugged into the hub
    All physical connection have been checked

Could the card have blown?

any ideas guys - I'm desperate

Cheers
    RAZ

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

The printer should print out a self test page and a second page with the network card settings. Press and release the go and job cancel buttons to print a self test.

You can clear the jet direct card of all settings by performing a cold reset on the card. Unfortunately the printer doesn't have the full control panel that you can use to reprogram the jet direct card from. (Cheap darn printers) You will need some software to reprogram the card from the network if you clear out all the settings. I haven't done that so I can't help you there. Yes sometime jet direct cards do go bad. HP usually wants you to try cold resetting the card as a trouble shooting step. If your printer is under warranty you should give them a call.

8. wedor

wedor

The 2100 doesn't print a configuration page. If you have the JetAdmin software you can run it to see if it can find the printer, if not then the print server could be bad. you could just hook a parallel cable to the printer to test it without the jetdirect card.

9. raz

raz Thread Starter

the printer works fine as i currently have it running throught a print server via a paralell computer as a short term measure. jet admin can not find it at all.

any ideas? possibly the card has gone bad?

Raz

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

11. wedor

wedor

Maybe I should have been more clear in my comments, the 2100 does indeed print a configuration page, but not with any JetAdmin information on it that I know of. I just installed a 615 card in a 2100 and the only way to get the IP is to use the JetAdmin software because the page it prints out lacks this info.

I would say that if JetAdmin can't find it, it's not working.

12. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi wedor

That's interesting. The tech manual says that the jetdirect card information is supposed to print out on the second page of a self test that will print if a jet direct card is installed. Could be the manual is wrong or it only prints for a certain printer firmware version. I don't have any of those printers around here to test it out.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

If I may add my humble 2 pennies here...

If you clear out the settings, and you know the MAC address of the Jet Direct card, you can use arp to assign a static address to the card...

Syntax: arp -s XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 00-00-00-00-00-00

Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address and 00-00-00-00-00-00 is the MAC address...

Then type in http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX in IE, this should let you view the card setup info ( depending on the firmware version )...

14. wedor

wedor

The only 2100 I have worked on only prints the first page, it never prints a second page. The 2100 is a fairly simple printer, it lacks any of the management tools that the 4000 and above series have. I just installed a new 4300tn, very nice, 45ppm, less than 10 seconds to print first page, it has a screen to configure the printer or check the configuration.

15. raz

raz Thread Starter

Thanks guys - Problem Solved

IT WAS THE CARD ITSELF CAUSING THE PROBLEM!!!!

CHEERS
    RAZ

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice