1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone know how to print cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by starchild, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Greeting cards, notecards (what I have now is notecard stock, makes 5.5 X 4.25 folded, with a slight indentation where the picture goes)

It seemed simple. Set up the right size picture, set up the printer (I have a new printer, Lexmark 5150 all in one, which has settings of it's own).

I've been looking online for tutorials about making cards. I've found a few (but with other printers) two using Publisher and PhotoShop (both I have) Publisher (2000) looks simple, it has templates (Wizard) Though the tutorial was for setting it up from scratch. It looks fine on the set up, it just doesn't print correctly.

I also have PageMaker, which has templates.

Can't find anything about the resolution of the pictures used,(for printing cards) but I think for printing it should be high- like 200? Though, higher resolution might make them print bigger than the size they're set as? I think using a higher resolution makes them show up bigger online. Since I haven't done much printing (pictures) and mainly just online and email, I've usually used lower resolution.

I make the picture 200 res, and the correct size to fit on, it shows it fitting in the set up, set the printer (I think) for the right size, and it only prints one small part of the picture, and says it's out of paper. A few times it printed part of the picture BIG, and didn't all fit on the card. Or didn't fit it where it showed in the setup.

Today I'm thinking of making various pictures with different resolutions and sizes, and printing them on regular paper (B&W) to see if I can figure it out.

I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it. I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

Most of the card printing programs I have used have you pull in a photo and you can resize it on the screen. You then drop it on the card anywhere you like. They also offer many fonts, sizes and colors. Some allow you to make circles out of the words or form many different shapes.

When printing, the program usually controls the process. It has you print the front and then adjust the paper per instructions and print the back.

I find I prefer the blank card to start with and import appropriate images and symbols from the Internet (usually Google - Images for the subject). You can use preformatted card formats and usually you can change some or all of the words.

You might check Amazon for products. You can check and see if there are lots of comments from other users and if they tend to the favorable on the product. No product will get all positive comments. One or two negative comments among 20 or more positive usually means they or their machine is hosed up.

I haven't used special stock for printing cards, but I will guess the program must know about the stock being used (similar to printing sheet of labels). All my cards are printed on 8 1/2 x 11 heavy matte paper and either folded in half or twice to form the smaller card. Both size envelopes are available at stores like Staples.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I am setting them up okay, I can inport an image and resize it, put it were I want to on the card.

It's just not printing the way and where I have it set up. I think it must be the settings on the printer (I just got it, and not familiar with it)

I tried using Canon Creative (which has card projects) and it still doesn't come out right. Publisher has templates and PhotoShop can be used to set it up.

~ Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice