1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone know how to save my c: drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sinewave, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

I'm in a fix: my c: drive won't boot and even booting from the cd freezes the system (at "loading windows xp executive"). Is there any way to repair the drive contents from a diskette-bootable program of some kind? Or is it time to bid a fond farewell to my system and reformat (using the drive in another pc as an extra unit)?
    A

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

If it can't boot from the CD then the problem is elsewhere. Re-seat card, memory, etc...

3. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

i've swapped my memory to another slot, I've removed everything but the essentials (agp card, c drive, cd rom) and i'm still getting nowhere. It has booted many times before, until earlier today (graphics drivers got corrupted, had to reinstall and restart). If the c drive isn't the issue, can it be something in the bios settings?
    A

4. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

i can occasionally get a bit further in the cd-rom boot process. but i get messages saying that files are damaged or missing - i386/ntkrnlmp.exe for example, or cpqarray.sys. Can it really be the case that my cd has got damaged sometime today? Or is it a symptom of another problem?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you sure you booted from the cd? . . Did you get a black screen with the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD"?

wrs

6. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

yeah. at which i press, then into the blue-background xp installation program, which is when it freezes or gives me the damaged file messages.

7. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

...prior to the press any key to boot from cd-rom message i get the message:

Boot from ATAPI CD-rom:
    No emulation.

Is this a clue?

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds like either the cd or the cd-rom is bad . . can you clean the cd? . . and clean or replace the cd-rom?

wrs

9. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

tried cleaning the cd and it did make a difference, i think. Now it gets a bit further - right up to just before the option screen comes up (repair windows press r, etc). Then it crashes (to black screen with cursor). Replacing the cd drive isn't an immediate possibility, but i could test my xp pro cd on my laptop. My laptop is running XP Home - would there be any chance of messing things up if i booted to the xp pro cd rom just to see if i got any further on that pc? Obviously i would stop at the option screen, but would that cause a problem?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have FAT32, can you boot with a Win98 boot disk that will let you access your CD ROM and then try copying the source files to your hard drive. Or see if there is an i386 directory on the C: drive and do a repair install from there. This is one of those situations when having FAT32 makes repairing XP a lot easier.

11. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

i formatted to NTFS...wish i hadn't but i did.
    A

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So much for all those claims about how stable NTFS is. Actually most problems are not due to the file system crashing but the OS crashing. Those are two totally different things.

If you had FAT32 all you would have needed to do was:

1. Originally copy the source files to an i386 directory on the hard drive
    2. Install from that directory.

Then in the future, if the OS needed any additional files (e.g. print drivers) it would just pull it from that directory on the hard drive.

It also makes situations like this a lot easier to recover from.

Mostly I try not to think of what will go right but plan ahead for all that might go wrong.

13. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

FAT32 next time, then!
    I'll be back in a few days with my original issue, no doubt. i'm off to reformat my c: drive. bah.
    A

14. sinewave

sinewave Thread Starter

Just went back to the other pc to reformat - and guess what? the menu was up. All i changed was the PIO access in the BIOS (as one last half-hearted attempt to fix things) and that seemed to do the trick. The CD-Rom drive is 2-3 years old, so that must be why using a lower PIO no. helps, i suppose. but really i haven't got a clue what PIO is so i'll say no more. So now i'm doing a chkdsk /r. Maybe that'll improve my chances of getting into windows. Any idea what else i can try at the reset console (that's a literal translation as i've only ever used xp in swedish - but you know what i mean, right - after you press r on the cd-boot menu...).
    A

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice