1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone know how to vertically mount a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiregar, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiregar

kiregar Thread Starter

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to vertically mount a hard drive? I've seen them in PC magazines and would like to do it to my system. I'm looking at getting a raptor hard drive with a clear window on it to place vertically in my system and have it facing the side window so when the hdd runs I can see the platter spin and the reader arm move from the side case window.

I've searched on the net for a case that would let me do this but haven't found one yet. If anyone has any info about it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, kiregar

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There is nothing special or magical about a HDD mount.

As long as the drive is secure, and the mounting does not apply any distortional (twisting) stress to the HDD case, any bracket arrangement will do.

Whan all else fails, duct tape will still work...

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Double sided foam sticky tape.

Velcro with adhesive backing would be my choice. :)

4. Brum

Brum

lol, while duct tape and foam will work...

I would still feel safer haveing it very securely in there. its not good on a hdd to take a fall. I would simply go down to your local hardware store and find something you can create your own mounts with. a small peice of metal with a 90 degree bend is all you need. (I on the other hand would just go out to my shop.) Find a couple peices of metal like that, drill holes in them, screw them on your case and mount your drive. Doesn't cost much of anything and you know your drive will be securely mounted.

like kiwiguy said, "there is nothing special about a HDD mount."

5. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

All excellent advice. The only real "no-no" is to create extra screw-holes in the HDD itself (which no one has suggested). You might get away with it but you might also cause havoc. Apart from that...

Also remember HDDs can become very hot so metal brackets touching them may act as a heat sink and actually be helpful. Don't completely cover them in duct tape etc as this might retain the heat.

6. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

... Or melt...

7. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

LOL Quite!

8. Brum

Brum

As much as I love duct tape, I'm surprised there isn't any in my case yet. LOL.

9. kiregar

kiregar Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I've seen a bracket on http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html that looks like it could do what I want. If I don't find that case that already has the vertical mount in it, I'll probably go this route. I wish I could remember where I saw that case, it was in a magazine either cpu or maximumpc. Again, thanks for the suggestions guys(y) , I appreciate it:D . kiregar

10. Brum

Brum

That doesn't look like a bad deal actually. I might have to try that the next time I have a computer that doesn't have room for another HDD. Personaly though, I would have rigged something myself. (pry with duct tape.) My rig up wouldn't be very "Profesional" probably.

11. kiregar

kiregar Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought it might be a good idea to use that little bracket. I haven't gotten that far yet, still waiting on the case to be shipped to me. Will post pics of the mod and system once I get it underway.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice