1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

anyone know of a good cheap openGL graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigwyatt, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigwyatt

bigwyatt Thread Starter

I'm building my dad a computer. I use my own computer for gaming mostly so I don't know a whole lot about openGL cards or even if my dad would need one. I'd like to spend from 100-300 bucks. cheaper being better. I guess the most important thing is just that I don't bottle neck this thing. He's retired and these are basically the hobbies he plans to use his computer for: poser v.4.0, Bryce v.4.0, and Photoshop v. 5.0, some form/capacity of autocad, and making home dvds.

so far I've got:
    2200XP
    1 gig of PC3200
    160 Gb HD
    AU13 FIC mb

Also I have a spare ATI 128 Mb 8500le I could throw in... but I wonder if it would do him any good....

so far I've just been looking around Tom's hardware and had one friend recommend "matrox" cards. but more suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. gws226

gws226

I have an 8500le and think its excellent. (although you have delt a blow to my confidence in my system! :))
    Programs like photoshop do not require high end video cards (all the graphic rendering is done by the processor) If he's not going to be playing any games the 8500 should last him a long time.

hmmm... looking at your parts here... they all look very good...the ram may be a little overkill... consider trading off 512mg of ram and getting a 2400+ processor.

If the 8500 concerns still concerns you... you can find the 128 9000 pro's on pricewatch.com for $75. Again, I don't think you need to splurge here.

Good luck

Edit: also... make sure not only that PC3200 is compatiable with your motherboard...but compatable with the bus speed of the processor... I think most boards do not support PC3200 at the lower AMD processor bus speeds (ie: I think you need a 333mhz FSB amd to run it)/ same with most intels as well (533 bus speed doesn't run PC3200)

3. carltasha

carltasha

through in the ATI and see if it works for him.

4. bigwyatt

bigwyatt Thread Starter

sorry about the blow. I'm actually running the 8500le... but was looking for a reason to upgrade. some games work incredibly well, others don't. fps like ut2k3 look great! but third person shooters like hitman 2, gta3, max payne, splintercell have some problems with anything higher then medium settings. then again I spend half my time playing book worm. Everything just seems to improve so much from the slight boost I get from overclocking the 8500le... and that makes me think I'd get a lot of benefit out of trading up.

so does anyone know what these expensive workstation graphics cards are actually for? I was under the impression that they were crucial for autocad and other 3D graphics development.

5. gws226

gws226

An 8500le is an underclocked 8500.

There are virtually no differences between the two... You can turn your 8500le speeds up to 275/275 (stock 8500 speed) with absolutely no problems.

6. bigwyatt

bigwyatt Thread Starter

can't beat the price there's no doubt about that! you can find them for $85 on techbargains.com! I've had my card stable at 305/310, but then I started having problems and backed down to 300/300.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice