1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone like to help a newbie with a second hard drive installation?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ILMomof2, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

I recently lost my hard drive. Sent to Gillware for data retrieval. They were able to get a lot of data- too much to put on a series of dvd's, so they have sent me a hard drive. Great- at least I'm getting some of my "stuff" back.

Now, how in the heck do I install this in my hp pavilion a620n desktop with having to spend MORE money to have someone do it for me? I downloaded an install wizard from Seagate, but after taking a quick look inside my computer, I am at a loss as to where to even physically start! Anyone? Help? Please?

Thanks for any input & assistance!

Kris
    (really not as dumb as I sound, honest!)

2. replay

replay

are u installing the new drive as a slave?

3. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

Yes! Gillware put the data that they retrieved onto a new hard drive and I need to install it as a slave to the (also) new one that I just had put in a couple of weeks ago when my old one died!

I googled several different sites that give tips, but would love ONE SPOT that could actually walk me through this! I am quite good at following directions, but need directions to follow! Sadly, the first step is probably my biggest hurdle- where & how does this new hard drive physically go in here!?!

Thanks for the response!

4. Old Bob

Old Bob

"IL",

More details will help.

1) Do you have "another" hard drive in your computer now ???
    2) Is there an operating system on that HD and will computer "boot up" ???

If the hard drive that was returned to you [with your data] is the ONLY "functioning" HD that you have, then getting your machine up and running will be a "little tricky".

Post your present "status".

5. replay

replay

well some cases only have room for 1 harddrive BUT the majority will house two hardrives...did u take the side off your case yet and look.... what case do u have? any pics u can post

6. BarefootJ

BarefootJ

7. Old Bob

Old Bob

8. Old Bob

Old Bob

"IL",

This is hard to follow !!! Are you saying you had "another" hard drive installed while you were waiting for Gillware to return your data ???

Does this "second" HD drive now have an operating system installed ???

NOTE: I don't even want to ask how much $$$ you spent so far, that "lost data" must have been really valuable !!!

9. brite750

brite750

in a nut shell, you plug the data drive in to the cabe that is on your cdrom drive, plug the power plug in from the cdrom drive. If hdd and cdrom are on same cable then hdd with OS must be set to master, with data drive set to slave. Plug pc back in wall socket, turn on, windows should boot up nad you should be able to see data drive as a drive on your system, copy data over to C: drive and remove data drive if you want.

10. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

Yes, there is a functioning hard drive and this will be a secondary/slave drive. The present hd is running Windows XP Home.

11. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

Yes, I took the side off and looked inside. I would be happy to post a pic later tonight after I get the kids in bed-LOL! There is a WHOLE lot of room in there, but I am not clear on where the new hd would need to be "attached"/screwed down?

12. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

It is a hp pavilion a620n desktop.

13. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll take a look!

14. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check out those links! Yes, I already took a look inside- it was easy to open-LOL! I'll post a pic later, if that's OK?

15. ILMomof2

ILMomof2 Thread Starter

OK- my old hd died- mechanical failure. I had a new hd installed. Several weeks later, I sent the old drive to Gillware to attempt data retrieval as I was having problems backing up data once I realized that there was a problem developing with the original hd. (NO lectures necessary about the importance of backing up your data, please! I have learned my lesson the hard way!) Gillware retrieved quite a bit of data and put it on a hd rather then a ton od discs. The hd from Gillware will be a slave and does not have an OS installed. As far as cost, I'll let you take a look at the Gillware site if you're interested. It was nowhere near the "thousands" that people had warned me about for data retrieval, though!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice