Anyone savvy with Playstation 2 parts or optical drives in general?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RedHelix

This may not be the most appropriate forum to post this question on, but it is a problem moreso related to how a laser lens reads a disc more than it is about the actual PS2.

I recently underwent a project with my PS2: I bought a clear blue, see-through case for the thing because, well, I like my stuff to look great in addition to being functional. Unfortunately, this project gave me one and not the other.

Before I can fully explain my problem, I should explain what I did that might've caused it:
In the original Sony-made PS2 case, you have a black screw-on lid that covers the lens and spindle. Inside of this lid is a plastic wheel with a magnet that the spindle attaches to (via said magnet) when a disc is inside, so it doesn't jiggle all over the place while the spindle is rotating.

In my new blue case, that plastic wheel is mounted inside the top of the actual case, so you don't need the lid. (In fact, you have to keep the lid off or else the case won't fit.) This is so you can actually see the disc spinning while you're playing games or watching DVDs.

Follow me so far?

When I had my PS2 settled into the new case, I fired up the machine and popped in a disc. Immediately I saw that the spindle was not aligning with the plastic wheel. When the spindle was rising up from under the disc, it didn't reach high enough to connect to the wheel. Then the disc started spinning and going all sorts of ballistic, swaggering everywhere in the tray

I pitched the top part of the case and just used the bottom one instead, so I could use the original black top with the original lid over the DVD drive. The discs mount and spin just fine now, but here my troubles begin: Disc read errors!! Now, my PS2 was finicky about reading discs before and even wouldn't load certain levels on certain games, but now it has gone completely kaput.

So here's what I've done: I took off the lid and yanked the plastic wheel out of it, so when the spindle comes up under the disc I just plop the plastic piece on top. It spins fine. I can see the lens assembly slide over to the innermost part of it, and through the disc I can see the laser focusing up and down. It does this for about 20 seconds and gives up. (Stops spinning, screen says Disc Read Error.)

Here's the clincher: Unlike XBoxes, PS2 DVD drives as a whole are not interchangable. They are a large assembly of individual parts attached to the motherboard and chassis. You have to swap out individual parts to get it working again. I can provide much better specifics if necessary, but I was wondering if our experts here had any advice on which part is failing, based on what it does to the disc when it starts reading.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online