1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anything less then 1080p plays in poor quality.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by KG77, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KG77

KG77 Thread Starter

IF i play a video in youtube or any video player for that matter. It plays distorted. I can make out the images, but the quality is bad. Windows media player is the same problem with all of my videos that are captured from my phone. VCL player, i messed with the settings and were able to make the videos play perfect, but it seems to be a struggle in every player i encounter. Playing youtube videos is my biggest concern. Only 1080p will play perfect. All others videos just are distorted.

2. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Have you tried updating the drivers by doing to the computer manufactures website and seeing if there are updates available?
    If you have a desktop and bought a graphics card, have you checked the manufactures website for updated graphic drivers?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    First, 1080P or any other format is usually not relevant. When you are talking display issues, especially on a computer, what you really need to take into account is the resolution. It's generally assumed that 1080P is 1920x1080, but you can display other resolutions on a "1080P" display. So it would be good to know the type of device/display we are talking about. Assuming it's a computer/monitor, what's the brand/model of the display (to confirm the screens native resolution), and what resolution is the desktop set to use (it should be the screens native resolution).

Are you playing the videos windowed or full screen? Not all content is 1920x1080, so material of any other resolution is processed to fit. Depending on the source and quality, it can look good or bad.

What kind of "distortion" are you seeing?

4. KG77

KG77 Thread Starter

HP 500-054 desktop AMD A8 5500 with and integrated video card, Radeon HD 3.2 ghz
    LG W2286L monitor

1680-1050 resolution
    DVI-D output to HDMi INput, is the cord that connects the 2, maybe thats the problem.?
    The issue with the video is a slight discoloration and some subtle lines through it. Example using youtube.com: 1080p setting works perfect everytime. If the setting is 720p or below then i get the slight distortion.

Any random video player inside a browser begins with the same distortion. Certain players i have been successful in changing the settings and fixing the issue. However 9 times out of 10 i go to a website and its the same distorted video.

The video captured from my phone and playing from computer had the same issues. I finally solved the problem using a VLC player, which seemed to be the only thing i could get to work and play perfect videos.

I there an easy fix? should i start buying and installing a new video card thats not integrated and maybe a HDMI output? Or should a buy a new computer?

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    First and foremost, at that resolution, pretty much any content that is displayed is being scaled to fit. As you have your desktop resolution set to 1680x1050 (the native resolution), then the video card is performing the scaling. So based on what you are seeing, I'd suspect a driver or hardware issue.

The easiest place to start is by swapping out the monitor cable.

After that, ensure you have the latest video drivers for your chipset and OS.

The phone video issue is/was very likely a codec issue (not related to the above issue).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice