1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL 8.0's companion.exe file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hfebelingjr, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hfebelingjr

hfebelingjr Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about AOL 8.0's companion.exe file. Such as what it does, and to excise it from a system (98 2nd Ed.) that has had the 8.0 removed, and 7.0 reinstalled.

Herman

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The companion sits on the screen being a big pain....I used to put up with it, finally just unchecked it in msconfig....basically, its a shortcut box to features. If you uncheck it in msconfig> Startups, it will not show on the screen, that is, if you use AOL 8.0. I just looked in Programs, and in Add/Remove, didnt see any uninstaller. Here is another way:

FROM_ AOL Help
    You can close the AOL Companion and continue to enjoy the convenience of easy one-click access to your favorite AOL features by opting to close the Companion and leaving the auto start option selected. If you would like to stop the AOL Companion from starting each time you connect to the AOL service, follow these steps.

To stop the AOL Companion from starting automatically

Click the X in the upper right corner of the Companion window.
    On the Close AOL Companion window, click the check box next to Autolaunch AOL Companion to clear it.
    Click Yes

To change AOL Companion settings

If the AOL Companion is not at its full size, click Maximize in the upper right corner of the Companion window.
    Click Settings.
    Click Always on Top to choose whether the AOL Companion remains visible even when you are working in other programs.
    Click Companion Sounds to choose whether sounds are played when you change the size of the AOL Companion or open or close the AOL features window.
    Click Add/Remove Content to choose which AOL features you wish to have one-click access to.

I dont think you can uninstall it...maybe go to America Online support,,,,they can tell, live online support, just what to do.

3. hfebelingjr

Thank you for the information, about what it is and does. I still need to find out how to stop a computer from trying to launch it when AOL 8.0 has been removed. And that AOL 7.0 has been reinstalled. I have sent AOL an E-Mail about this, but so far I haven't heard anything from them.

Herman

4. Byteman

Hi, As I posted, you can go to Start, type in the Run box:, msconfig--under the Startup tab, uncheck the entry for the Companion. It should appear there. Removing the check mark in msconfig will stop the companion from launching.
    You can also stop it from auto launching with the other method above-
    Other than that, go online, chat with an AOL tech, they will be able to help you, they can also probably show you how to safely remove the whole thing.

5. hfebelingjr

I'm sorry I guess that I am not making myself clear here. AOL 8.0 has been removed from the system, so therefor the file companion.exe is no longer stored anywhere on the HD.

Herman

6. Byteman

Hi- OK, so the Companion is still trying to launch. That may be because it was loaded and running when you uninstalled 8.0, I dont know, some programs do leave things behind one way or the other. Can't really say if it was designed to uninstall with AOL 8.0, or remain behind, only they can tell you. It does not have any uninstaller, so I gave you directions to turn it off, as it appeared that it was still launching, you did not say it was creating errors or anything.
    I see in Program Files that the Companion folder is separate, and located just beneath the AOL 8.0 folder. I have never uninstalled 8.0, so I can only tell you that usually, you can stop any program from launching by renaming it's .exe file to, say, xxxxxxx.old- that is the only safe thing you can do for now. Unless someone comes along who has sufficient Registry experience and feels confident that they can guide you through a Registry removal of the Companion, if you delete the folder you would probably have a big .dll mess, since the rest of the Companion "Applet" let's call it consists of just .dll files.
    It does appear in msconfig, under Startups, I am wondering if you looked for it? It might still be there, and you can simply turn it off from launching when WINDOWS does....I have done this, and it does not try to launch when I start AOL 7.0.

7. hfebelingjr

Yes, after AOL 8.0 was uninstalled the computer is still trying to launch the companion.exe file. I would have no problems "diving" into the registry and removing any and all referances to AOL's 8.0 companion.exe. As I routenly "dive" into it to customize various aspects of my computer(s) that one can't otherwise customize. But unfortunitly I don't have access to that perticular computer. As it is a friends computer out on the West Coast.

Herman

8. yul

yul

here what u need to do:

1.search for folder named COMPANION in you computer and delete it.

2.search for another file named flash.ocx in your computer and delete it

that's it

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice