1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL 9.1 Loggs me off when my desktop goes in Suspend Mode.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MDC, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDC

MDC Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Media Eddition, on a Sony VAIO Desk Top, and I'm using Broadband.

While logged onto AOL and whenever I leave my computer idle for say an hour or so, AOL kicks me off and I get the following message: "Your account was signed off when your computer was put in Suspend Mode".

Spoke to AOL and I was told to do the following: Go to Start, Control Panel, then to Power Options. Then I was told to go to the System Standby Drop Down Menu, and next to the System Standby Setting, and click on "Never". However, when I went there, the System Standby Area was colored Gray, and it wouldn't let me make a change.

Doing some research I was told that I had to be logged on as the Administrator in order to make such a change. When I checked to see if I had Administrative Privleges, I was the Owner/Administrator.

Therefore, I don't understand why I can't make the change.

Also, I'm not sure if that is the correct fix anyway!

Doing more research, I found out that sometimes the Computer Manufactures Software (Sony VAIO) over-rides the Operating System (Windows XP Media Edition).

I Googled Sony Power Management and I got some information, and it pointed me to the Sony Power Options Properties, but I still couldn't make the change.

Any ideas how to keep AOL from kicking me off when my computer is idle?

Thanks for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!