1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL and modem issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lorax297, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lorax297

lorax297 Thread Starter

We connect to AOL via Verizon DSL on our home computer, but when no one is online or using the computer, the internal modem starts a clicking noise and sounds like it's trying to dial out (the sound you get when you use dial-up to connect to AOL). What the heck is all that about, and how do you stop it?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Check your settings like in email to make sure that nothing is set to dial up a connection.

3. lorax297

lorax297 Thread Starter

OK, I'll check those. The thing is, the modem tries to dial up, but it never connects to AOL. It drives my mother crazy because she has no idea why it's happening.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    could also be an adult dailer. Download Lavasoft Adware, Spybot S&D and HighJackThis.

SpywareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html - this will prevent reinfection
    AdAware SE http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
    SpyBot S&D 1.3 http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

DL them (they are free), install them, check each for their
    definition updates and then run AdAware and Spybot, fixing anything
    they say.

In SpywareBlaster - Always enable all protection after updates
    SpyBot - After an update run immunize

Do these and reboot before the next step.

Then get HiJack This http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html, put
    it in a permanent folder (C:\HJT) , run it, click Scan. Then click save log. Save the log and the log will appear in Notepad. Copy the entire log and post it here. I will see if there is any dialers left. Usually Ad-Aware and S&D will take them out.

5. lorax297

lorax297 Thread Starter

OK.
    The computer isn't mine, it's my mom's, so I have little say in what should be done to solve the problem.

However.....

My parents called Gateway, and after 3 hours on the phone, they said it was probably something with the hard drive. They sent us a new drive and we sent the old one back (this was this past weekend). We haven't had any blue screens of death with stop messages, or any modem dialing (yet), but there is one thing that still occurs.
    When we turn the computer back on, we get a black screen that says something about MAC addresses and DHCP, and there's a "|" that rotates and it says it can't find the hard drive. If you press the Esc button, it stops and starts up normally. What's bothering my parents is that it still happens, even though we've got a new HD.

I was wondering, because it says something about the MAC address and DHCP, could it have anything to do with the internet connection, or something in that area?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The MAC address is a unique number for the Network card. Example a SSN number to a person. DHCP is Dyamic Host Configuration Protocol which will assign an Internet Protocol (I.P.) address for your computer. The only time that should happen is if you are on a network, like a home or business. I'm not too sure why that is happening unless that's how AOL does it's internet. I haven't seen any other ISP do that.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    PS if it tooked 3 hours for gateway to say 'it's probably the HDD' then I think they 'probably have no clue' what is going on. I'm guarranteing that it was / is a spyware issue. If you connected the machine to the internet without a firewall present then that would create problems. For example within 1/2 hour on the net on my new machine i had 7 intrusion attempts, 5 being 'high rated'

8. lorax297

lorax297 Thread Starter

The firewall is McAfee (provided by AOL, the largest virus in the world). My stepdad had called 3 times in one night: the first time they lost the reference number, the second time whoever it was was an idiot, and the third seemed convinced it was the HD. So we've got the new drive, and while I don't know about any modem clickings as of yet, that rotating "|" and the DHCP/MAC message still comes up.
    Also, my mother got the phone bill yesterday and there was a $29.99 e-bill charge for AOL on it. She called AOL, and now she thinks either someone got an account set up under her name, or the people who had our number before we did are still using the number.
    As far as a network goes, I've been trying to set up a home network between my laptop and Mom's computer without having to go through her computer so I could keep an eye on what's going on in there, but I guess you can't do that when the laptop has a wireless adaptor and the computer is hooked up through DSL (We have no wireless Access points in the house at all, but my wireless adaptor connects to hers via ad-hoc....I dunno).

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    First thing you need to do is get rid of AOHell.

This is probably why you are getting the rotating |, because it's trying to find the network. Something is not set up correctly. I will get you an answer by tommorrow (wed). I'm gonna get someone that I know to look at your problem and possibly able to find a way to get the network going.

10. lorax297

lorax297 Thread Starter

OK, that sounds about right.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I consulted my guy and we determined that the machine is trying to obtain an ip address from the DCHP server. Thats why you get the the spinning |. What you need to do is make both machines with a static I.P. address. For example 100.10.10.1 and 100.10.10.2. That should stop the | spinning.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!