1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL DSL, two computers, one linksys router, share?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sphinx, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

PLEASE SOME HELP ME I WOULD BE SO THANKFUL.

OK herse the deal.;.

I have two computers, and i have a broadband blaster dsl modem connected to my DSL service which I get through AOL.

I have a BEFSR41 version 2 LINKSYS Etherfast Cable/DSL Router. (all update on firmware).

Ok, here is how everythin is connected....

My DSL MODEM is connected to a jack in the wall by an RJ cable, and is also connected to the LINKSYS router in the WAN port by a CAT-5 cable. My two computers and directly connected to the LINKSYS router, taking up 2 of the 4 available LAN ports (using CAT-5 cables). My AOL is set to sign on thrugh TCP/IP since I have a router. I can get on AOL DSL great, now heres the problem. I just finished setting up the other computers thats connected, and when I go to internet explorer i get no internet. On the router, the lights are on and it shows the connection is there.

I want to be able to go on one computer on the internet through internet explorer, as long as the other one is signed on AOL DSL.

I don't want it to be so that each computer has to individually sign on AOL to use internet.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

2. Sponsor

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

if i didnt mention before. both comps have WIN XP PRO installed

4. Rockn

Rockn

Does AOL broadband use PPPoE for connecting to the DSL network?

Go to AOL and type in keyword: Router and follow the instructions EXACTLY..linksys hs a webpage for using their BEFSR41v2 router

5. Akito

Akito

Rockn, did I ever mention your avatar gives me nightmares?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Get rid of AOL and get a real ISP! :(

7. Rockn

Rockn

Have a bad day JW?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No, I don't have AOL! :D:D

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

i was always an AOL critic, but AOL DSL is not bad at all, and I get faster speed than any other dsl service i've used, so rockwill dont talk just because you are mad at yourself for not choosing AOL!

ps. honestly aol has a lot of crap you don't need, but the email service is great. sure its a rip off but it works great fr me!

10. Rockn

Rockn

You have used other DSL services and have settled on AOL? I can only imagine why, and basing the whole shebang on email (AOL's is featureless and proprietary) is pretty rediculous. BTW, did you get the sharing thing figured out?

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/155993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice