1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL Email Attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JoyceCC, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoyceCC

JoyceCC Thread Starter

I have a friend using AOL Email on Windows 7. She is unable to open attachments from within an email. When she clicks on View (the Document) she gets garbage characters in the document. If I download the document and open it with Word, it works fine. She is 88 and I am trying to help her out. Any ideas?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does it happen with all files or just a word document?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does she have a program on her computer to view the "document" you send?
    Are you sending a doc or docx file?
    If so, try sending either a rtf or pdf. Most everyone has programs to open either of those two files.

4. JoyceCC

JoyceCC Thread Starter

So far this has happened only with docx files. She does have MS Word on her computer. I will send her a few other test file formats and see what happens. I will report back. I will be seeing her tomorrow.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What version of MS Word does she have?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If the version is lower than Office 2007, she won't be able to view docx files unless she either has a viewer or installs the MS Compatibility Pack. (This gets cumbersome because there are service packs, updates and patches. I'd think for an 88 year old, a simple file viewer would be the easier option. My husband is in his mid 70's and I had to install something so he could read docx files he occasionally receives. )

7. JoyceCC

JoyceCC Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. Miraculously I was at my friends home today. I had sent her an email with three file types to test and they all opened just fine. I don't understand what happened previously and why all of a sudden it now works! Just FYI, she is running Office 2010. I will close this thread now.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Thanks for letting us know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice