AOL has prevented me to install printer drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brainwave89

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum for this thread.
Since AOL software was loaded on my Sony Vaio desktop w/ Windows XP Media Center Edition w/ sp2 I have not been able to use or install successfully printer drivers. I am no longer able to use my HP Phototsmart printer that was working without any problems before AOL 9.0 was installed.
When installing the driver for this printer and a Canon printer the failure to load the drivers is at the same exact point. When the software requests to attach the printer to the computer (I use a USB cable) the computer recognizes the printer in the system tray. Eventually, it states the the hardware did not install correctly. I received a printer device failure with the Canon and a similar error with HP.
I have went into Add/Remove programs to remove all instances of AOL but I noticed there are still references in the registry of AOL. I am still not able to install printer drivers successfully. A virus scan has found nothing as did a check of malware with ThreatFire 3.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can clean my registry completely of anything associated with AOL? My hope is that this cleaning will enable me to print again.

Thank you for looking.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online