1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL Instant Messenger Freeze

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Shadow225, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadow225

Shadow225 Thread Starter

Can someone please help me with my problem. I've looked everywhere for help and I hope I can get it here. Anyways, my problem is that when I go to send a message to someone and I hit send, my AIM freezes up for about 5 seconds and then it is sent. It does this every time and I used to not have this problem. I have done everything I can think of to try and fix it but nothing is working. I have the newest version of AIM. I heard it may just be lag from my service provider (Comcast) but it is unknown how to fix it or if it is even the problem. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you for your time.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Have you tried deleting the AIM cache files?

Find out which directory on your hard drive is used for the AIM cache files for your affected Screen Name. Depending on your version of Windows and when you first installed AIM, it could be any of the following:

c:\documents and settings\<Windows_Username>\Application Data\Aim\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache
    c:\documents and settings\Application Data\Aim\<Your Screen Name>urlcache
    c:\windows\application data\aim\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache
    c:\windows\aim95\<Your Screen Name>\urlcache

If any of those above "urlcache" directories exist, delete them. This won't damage AIM at all. (If a lot of cache files have accumulated, it could take Windows quite a while to delete them.)

3. Shadow225

Shadow225 Thread Starter

Nope still freezes. Thanks though. Any more ideas???

4. Shadow225

Shadow225 Thread Starter

Someone Please Help!!!!!

5. Cheeseball81

Did you report the bug to AIM?
    Try uninstalling/reinstalling?

Does it only happen you actually hit 'send' button?
    Usually just pressing the enter button on the keyboard will send an IM.

6. Shadow225

Shadow225 Thread Starter

No I do hit enter, and yes I have unistalled/reinstalled many times. I actually saw someone else on another forum who has the same problem but doesnt know how to fix it eighter. How would I report the bug to aim?

7. Cheeseball81

8. Jordan1

Jordan1

I have this same problem with AOL instant messenger, so I would assume it's not an AIM problem. I too cannot find a solution. I'm also having some other problems with the computer responding very slowly for everything. In the beginning it was only slow on emails and instant messages. Now it is starting to turn itself off and on over and over all day long. I have another post about this, don't know if it's a related problem. Hope we both find an answer!

9. Cheeseball81

In all honesty, I think the new version of AIM is poor.

It slowed my computer down immensely so I went back to an older version.

If you wanna go back to the older version, it can be found here
    http://www.aim.com/help_faq/common_problems.adp?aolp=

scroll down about halfway until you reach
    Problems you may encounter while using AIM:
    Date Added Issue
    • 08/28/2003 If you are experiencing a problem with the current version of AIM, you can download the older 5.1 version here.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice