1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL leftover registry entries after uninstall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 2Madre, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2Madre

2Madre Thread Starter

I uninstalled AOL 9.0 off of all of my computers (because it sucks). I scanned all of them with a few Registry Cleaners (Ace Utilities, System Suite, and RegScrubXP). Then I opened regedit and searched for all entries with AOL in it an got a ton of left over entries.

I was wondering why these Registry Cleaners didn't get them.

But I do have AIM and I am thinking some entries belong to that so I don't know what to delete.

Any Help?
    ~ Thanks, 2madre

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

AOL is well known to be a pain to remove.
    Every time I have done it for a client, I have re-installed from scratch to get a clean system.

3. sekirt

sekirt

You could always delete all of them and then reinstall AIM.

Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 - Description of MS Windows Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=256986

sekirt

4. golferbob

golferbob

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're wanting to completely clean out "AOL Hell" from your computer, AOL Instant Messenger needs to go too. Get rid of everything that's listed under "AOL" and "America Online". Once it's completely cleaned out, you can download and reinstall AOL Instant Messenger as a stand-alone program.

Be careful when doing a find/search of "AOL" because some files to other programs may have those letters as part of their file name. If you're not sure what a file is associated with, right-click it and then click Properties. The information in the tabs should tell you what it's associated with.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!