1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL & Other ISP's

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Optimissed, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Optimissed

Optimissed Thread Starter

currently im using AOL (n) broadband...and i was wondering, would it be possible for me to use another service provider, such as firefox? i know if you *load* up AOL, you can bring up any other ISP.....but w/ AOL, even w/ a DSL hooked up, you still have to go through the seven or eight steps or w/e with AOL, then, only then, can i bring up another web browser....lets just say AOL's not for me. So, before i get rid of it, I was wondering until then how i could use another web browser like mozilla or something, w/o bringing up AOL. i just want to click on a link to the browser and be able for it to just pop up, like most web browser's do...so anyways, what im basically asking is how do i get another web browser besides AOL to actually work on my computer. Thanks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, When you have Internet service through AOL, you have to sign into your account. You can MIMIMIZE the AOL screen, click on Internet Explorer, and other browsers, and they will work. There is no charge to use other browsers> like Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, etc. They are not service providers that give you a connection> only an ISP can do that.

Some "browsers" like MyIE2, are only skins for IE, and you must have Internet Service by cable, DSL, dialup, satellite...most plain cable or DSL providers> do not have browsers, so you use IE or your choice...you download and install them. Some other full featured browsers do NOT support ActiveX controls, so things may not work , that do work in IE. Antivirus online scans, for one. You can always switch to IE if you need ActiveX.

The FAQs or install directions will tell you about the features of a browser and what it can or cannot run.
    If you quit AOL, you will need some sort of ISP.
    How to find out what is available in your area is the problem.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=broadband+providers+United+States

From that Google results page you can narrow the search down within each separate result> or replace United States with Missouri and get just results for your state. Hope this helps!

3. Optimissed

I appreciate the feedback; it answered my question, and cleared up some things that I was confused about.

4. Optimissed

oh, also....you said that w/ dsl (which i have), i can just download a free browser and use that....but its not working, my dsl only goes on when i connect to aol. i dont know what to do.....=/

5. Byteman

Hi, No, I said
    I also said that Firefox, and other browsers are not Internet Service. An ISP is some company you pay for service.. There are free dialup ISP's but they are rapidly disappearing, most now charge a small montly fee.

This is the way it is for ANY TYPE of AOL Internet service...if you have AOL as your only service that is...you must sign in to your AOL account and then, you can use other browsers, which are not Internet Service, only programs that run on the Internet.

If you get Internet service through for example, your cable TV company, you would probably not have software like AOL's to use. I have cable broadband that way> to get to the Internet, I simply click the browser I want to load, like Internet Explorer or Firefox. The Internet is "always on" when the modem is turned on and the computer is. But> when you only have Internet Service> (an account), through AOL, and only pay AOL, you sign into your account, or start AOL and login, even if you want to use Internet Explorer or other browsers.

Is there a problem when you connect to AOL?

6. southernlady

southernlady

If you have AOL broadband, you also have a second ISP...who is that one? Who is providing your actual broadband service cause it SURE as heck IS NOT AOL. It has to be someone who handles cable or DSL. Liz

7. Byteman

Man sometimes the simplest things get overlooked!
    Thanks southernlady for pointing out that which I didn't spot.

Optimissed: You have to have a high speed Internet service there somewhere if you "have DSL" . That would be through the local telephone company or a third party company and uses the telephone wire and a separate DSL modem (box with green flashing lights) and network card in the computer.

You may be seeing on the AOL 9.0 Welcome Screen (Optimized for Broadband)

Your user name here at TSG suggests that...and since it is not the first of April :) I am going to assume you are not pulling somebody's leg here...and have just confused the newer software title with having DSL?

You can keep and use your old dialup account when you switch to DSL broadband.....but do have to pay a monthly fee to do that. (Bring your own Access it is called). AOL dialup (not highspeed or DSL)...when I last had it was $24.95 per month. (called 56k or just dialup service).
    You might be paying for both. Lower DSL service through our local telephone company is around $34 a month, and you would pay AOL the $14.95 on top of that to" BYOA" so you can still use your AOL account, email, etc...

TV cable companies have cable broadband (no telephone wire is used) Same type of external modem, TV cable and network card. You'd have to live within a TV cable company's boundary to have that. Satellite is another type of highspeed service, but you have an outside dish receiver to get the signal. You pay someone like Dish Network for that service usually as part of the regular satellite TV montly fee.

If you have an AOL account and can sign into it...you had to have started with dialup connection. Maybe you could check your credit card statement for another ISP? Or, call the free telephone number and speak to an AOL billing rep

http://www.aol.com/support/index.adp?toc=billing&page=26

8. southernlady

southernlady

And if he has broadband, he sure as heck doesn't NEED AOL!!!! WHY PAY TWICE for internet service access??? Liz

9. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

AOHell is such a crutch!

10. Byteman

Hi Liz I'm heading back to the Security forum, this email stuff is too hard!!!!

11. southernlady

southernlady

Ah, poor, Byteman, just because you overlooked the oblivious? LOL :D Liz

12. Byteman

Yes malware is SO "oblivious" that even I can't miss it...!!! :D

13. southernlady

southernlady

That's okay, Byteman, I've MISSED the "oblivious" over there often enough! Liz

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice