1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL Shutdown

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wise1, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

Okay here I am again with another problem.

My friend uses AOL. They have version 9.0 and when they open the program and sign on when it reaches step 4 the computer turns off automatically and restarts. It doesn't shutdown it just shuts off.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wise1

2. bob054

bob054

What is "step 4"? Is that where aol is checking for password or connection numbers? Or is it before that process. Is it happening after the connection is made? Can they get to the page before connecting and get into "advanced set up" and check phone numbers and modem changes, (I'm Assuming dial up)
    Bobby

3. bob054

bob054

OK, Got me goin'. So, went through log on process. is the dialer working? Did it work before? Is the password working. Did you pick up some kind of hi jack virus or shutdown virus? Honestly from my count, step4 was me logging on to here. 1, click aol on desktop, 2 click my name, 3 click favs, this site, 4 click go. In 4 steps I'm here.
    Bobby

4. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

Ok when I went to work on this problem today... I found that it now doesn't even fully open to the sign on screen before the machine shuts off.

I called AOL and they said that the program is not recognizing the modem so I reinstalled the modem... it still didn't recognize it. I uninstalled and reinstalled AOL and it still did not work and had the same problem. I know the modem works cause I connected with a normal local ISP service.

Any help once again would be great.

5. bob054

bob054

Sounds like aol is telling you that the aol program is at fault, not the modem. Try calling them again, and if you really want to keep them, insist they get you past the "shutdown" stage while you are still on the phone. If you have paid for service use it as leverage, but don't get off the phone till you get ficed or talk to a supervisor. If your still having trouble, Itttttt could be a "hardware issue", but it seems AOL is turning your system off. HAve you tried to diconnect the phone cable and power up? See how far you can get, then when it says "No connection", hook up and see what happens. When you click the aol icon in toolbar, can you get "System info", you don't need to be on internet to get it. See if all is correct in there. Check modem and connectivity and make sure it is corresponding. Hell even hit "quick fix and click aol adapter uninstall. It will re-install when you log on.
    Good luck, I have never had the shutdown issue, but remember, you really need to clean out all AOL files, folders, and registry before reinstalling.
    Bobby

6. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I will try this... I have emailed them again and they sent some solutions but I will call them and talk with them on the phone for a while in hopes of an answer. Thanks so much, WISE1

7. bob054

bob054

Your welcome, "wise". I have a couple of years vested in AOL. And tried 3 other ISP's that were to complicated for my simple mind. Had unbelievable problems with Earth link. HOWEVER, if you don't have a history with AOL, ya might wanna try another. You will get problems that are only solved after weeks of searching, calling etc. Don't ever email them, talkin to a tree works better. If you do get this issue fixed, do a google search for tweaking "advance" in internet options to help with surfing speed. The default stinks and so does their "media" players, uncheck them.
    I have a YA got pictures problem. 1 file doesn't want to load, and AOL wants me to completly reinstall. Since original instalation, they have updated about 5 times. Who knows whats been updated but I'm sure a re-install will make my registry spin like a one arm bandit!
    Just wanna be fair and balanced, once ya got it tweaked and running it not bad.
    Bobby

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice