1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL Silver and Netgear DG834G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rovers_robin, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rovers_robin

Rovers_robin Thread Starter

Hi there - first time poster. I've looked around on the forums but have yet to find anyone with the exact problem I've been experiencing so any help would be appreciated.

I am attempting to set up a wireless network including two laptops (Wireless) and a PC (DSL) using AOL silver and a Netgear DG834G router.

Having followed both the Netgear and AOL startup guides and connecting the network up as recommended, I am finding that the DSL connection to the PC works fine, and that the laptops both recognise a good/excellent connection from around the house, recieving 54mbps.

However my problem arises that no internet applications work on the laptops such as internet explorer, firefox, or messenger; it is as though there is no connection despite the wireless applications recognising the connection as described above.

Plugging the laptops into the router via DSL results in them working fine and recognising the connection and working as normal; it is just when I attempt wireless.

Another problem is that once the laptops are "connected" to the network, the PC stops connecting to the internet in the normal manner, instead, bringing up the 'page unrecognised' screen (i'm sure you know the one!)

I appreciate that I have probably left out several vital details so please request any more information you require.

Many thanks

2. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

I experienced similar problems a month or two ago.

You will probably have to install AOL 9 onto the two laptops as well as the PC

You may not be able to go on-line (via AOL) on more than one computer (at the same time) with the same screen name. In other words create three different AOL screen names if you want all three computers to go on-line together.

3. Rovers_robin

Rovers_robin Thread Starter

I thought using the AOL software would be required too but I'm not sure - i can't get the software to dial up so I'm not sure if this is required or not. Thats what's confusing me a little - is the AOL software required?

4. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

I would say that YES you do need AOL 9 installed on all computers which need to go on line.

You should`nt need the laptops to "dial up" as you are using a wireless router.

You just need them to access the router. Try going into IE and type the ip address (eg: 192.xxx.xxx.xxx) of the router in your IE address bar.

If you are using any security like WEP (recommended) then you will have to enter the key before the laptop can access the router.

Once both laptops are communicating with the router, install AOL 9 on both.

5. M_Mike

M_Mike

I had a similiar problem with a different router and fixed it by downloading an application from AOL to set up a wireless router. If you log into AOL and do a keyword search you should be albe to find the setup application.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice