1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL wants me to disable my firewall?????

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Gabriel, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi, I know you are all busy here with the hijack logs and viruses...I'm not sure if I have a problem or not really, but it seems weird to me...Yesterday I couldn't access the internet, and I uninstalled and reinstalled AOL.....Come to find out that was unecessary, as all the phones in the area were out...Dumb me....anyway, it seemed my connection settings were all screwed up, and no matter how I set them I couldn't connect....So I called AOL since its their software, and they had me go into my and their system and set up a UNC generic modem access (something like that), and lowered my connection speed, and stuff like that, then told me I would have to DISABLE MCAFFEE'S FIREWALL!!!!!!to access, and also that I would have to contact my computer co. (Systemax), and get a rebuild for a file called TCIP spacks........Is this a normal thing??????how can they tell if a file is corrupted? Anyway I refuse to go the internet (after all the work you guys and gals helped me do) without my firewall, and so of course every time I try, Macaffee screams at whatever they did and I have to tell it to allow it and all....Can anyone tell me what they AOL did? I am confused and don't want to make it that my computer can't access through anything but AOL in the future

2. mobo

mobo

Im not gfamiliar with that firewall but since you are , look foir a setting that will prompt you for access when something tries to access the net. If there is one present then enable it, reboot then try accessing the web. When it prompts for access then set it to allow access..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice