1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL/Web browsing problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by plzhelp, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

HI EVERYONE.

I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 98SE/AOL 8.0/DIAL-UP CONNECTION.

PROBLEMS I AM HAVING IS THAT WHEN I TRY TO LOG ON THE CONNECTION STALLS AT STEP 5 THEN HANGS UP AND TRIES TO CONNECT AGAIN. AFTER TRYIN TO CONNECT A FEW TIMES AND WHEN IT FINALLY DOES I GET THE WELCOME SCREEN AND EVERTHING ELSE THAT COMES ON WHEN YOU FIRST SIGN ON TO AOL EXPECT THE BUDDY LIST. I CAN'T CONNECT TO ANY WEBSITES. IT LOOKS LIKE IT TRIES TO CONNECT BUT COMES BACK WITH AN ERROR SAYIN .. INTERNET EXPLORER WAS UNABLE TO LINK TO THE WEB PAGE YOU REQUESTED. THE PAGE MIGHT BE TEMPORARY UNAVALABLE. I'VE TRIED SEVERAL SITES BUT STILL NO LUCK.

I CAN READ/SEND EMAILS ON AOL. GO INTO CHAT ROOMS ETC. CAN'T IM ANYONE. DID A MEMBER SEARCH FOR MY SCREEN NAME AND IT SAID I WAS NOT ONLINE(?). BUT I AM. :confused: LOOKS LIKE I CAN DO EVERYTHING INSIDE OF AOL BUT AS FAR AS OTHER WEB SITES, NO LUCK. I CANT EVEN DO A LIVE HELP SESSION WITH AOL.

I HAVE TALKED TO AOL TECH AND DID ALL THE AOL FIXES FOR THE AOL BROWSER. THEY EVEN ADVISED ME TO DOWNLOAD THE WEBUTIL7. WHICH I DID AND INSTALLED SUCCESFULLY. LUCKLY I FOUND FORUMS LIKE THIS THAT I COULD POSSIBLY GET SOME HELP OR ADVICE. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :)

2. yul

yul

did u run webutil7? and still it did not resolve?

do u have any firewall in your computer? try disabling it that and check.

3. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

yes, did run webutil7 and still didnt work and firewall disabled.

4. yul

yul

try uninstalling and reinstalling AOL...

5. dabwid

dabwid

(n) AOL(n) (n) (n)
    Try using a different ISP. AOL is not worth the money they charge. You can get a $9.95 ISP and have better service without all the headaches AOLHell will give you

6. yul

yul

1.sign on to AOL.
    2.click on start -> run->type 'command'->then on dos screen type 'ping yahoo.com'->hit enter.

what response do u get?

7. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

i did uninstall and reinstalled and still the same thing. yeah AOL really sux but its the only thing i can use right now since im on someones account. thanks for the help guys! :)

8. dabwid

dabwid

Try to repair IE. Go to programs>accessories>system tool>system information, then click on tools. The IE repair option should be right on top. When I made the mistake and used AOLHell this worked for me once. Good Luck.

9. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

thanks i will try that!

why is AOLHell such a pain like this? just curious...lol

10. dabwid

dabwid

When I used AOLHell I would get disconnected at least 3-4times a night. My computer would run sluggish. Tech help was no help. They said my modem was bad but it was brand new. I had nothing but probelms. When I switched to a $9.95 ISP provider, I was never disconnected. Everything worked like a dream.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice