1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

aol6.0>aol8.0>aol6.0=slow browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Just dense, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Just dense

Just dense Thread Starter

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks. Been through many regimens to try and fix it with little luck. Also, I did a search here "using aol browser slow". I found 18 threads, and tried some of the relevant procedures without success.

I started with the aol6.0 browser. I was very happy, I realize now. But decided to install aol8.0 to see if the grass was greener. It was not.

Aol 8.0 was very slow, and the color schemes etc, did not agree with me. So I decided to go back to aol 6.0. First I tried just leaving 8.0 and using 6.0. Well, 6.0 had become just as slow.

So then I removed aol 8.0 from my system. Aol 6.0 was still slow.

Then, I went to the aol techs. Big mistake. A lot of time wasted. First, started by removing the art files, temp internet files, etc. Then proceeded right down their list doing things that did not work, including removing all aol and IE from my system, and reloading from the restoration disk. No luck.

I have checked for viruses and run successfully Spybot and Hijack This. I got the most improvement in my system from these procedures. But the aol browser still takes a long time to open and close windows, and even typeing becomes slow. Over time, it becomes increaseing slower to where I can type an entire sentence, the cursor moves, but no letters appear until I stop typing.

I am using a Gateway computer with ME as the operating system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JD

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Print this out.

It would not make a difference if you were using AOL 6 or 8. Your computer just probably coincidentally started to run slow after AOL 8 was installed, fooling you. Do the below in order of appearance.

Do an on-line virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Are you using Mcaffee anti-virus? It will slow your computer horribly - it's a notorious resource hog and general substandard product. Besides, your version is probably out of date. If you have not recently paid for a subscription to them to update their weekly virus definitions do this:

1. Navigate to ttp://www.grisoft.com and get free AVG Anti-virus, giving them a valid e-mail address when you register, you need the install code they send to install AVG.

2. Uninstall Mcaffee (McCheapie) in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel then restart your computer.

3. Double click the AVG download to start its installation. When prompted skip all the tests offers to update etc. Done there.

Yes I know AOL technical support reps just read off a screen, no intelligent independent troubleshooting assessment involved. :D

Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click OK when prompted). Temporarily disable your screen save (choose None).

Run ScanDisk- Start button; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; ScanDisk - Start ScanDisk; Check the Standard box; Check Automatically fix errors; click the Advanced button, the settings should be as follows - Display Summary - Always, Log File - Replace Log, Cross-Linked Files - Delete, Lost File Fragments - Free, Check Files For - check (Invalid File Names) should be checked. Click the Start button. That done then:

Run Defrag - Start button; Programs accessories; System Tools; Disk Defragmenter. That done? Re-enable your screen saver and boot into Normal Mode via the Start button.

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

Get free Sygate personal firewall from http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10184369.html?tag=lst-0-1 if you aren't already running one. This is not anti-virus.

For questions or concerns reply back to this. I think you'll be glad you did the above, especially if you use Mcaffee.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you decide to get rid of AOL(n) and/or McAfee VirusScan(n), there's more to just uninstalling them, in order to completely clean them out of your computer. The steps for both are in 2 separate articles in my website.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. dabwid

dabwid

(n) (n) :mad: :mad: AOL get rid of it!!!!!:mad: (n)

5. z13w1z

z13w1z

Try changing the dial up number that aol automatically dials to connect to one of the other number options.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice