1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AOL's IMAP setup in Outlook

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jerold, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I am thinking of doing away with using AOL software, but keeping my AOL email address since it has served me well as a backup to my office email address and consolidating all my email accounts into Outlook. I've got all my POP3 mail accounts set up in Outlook and my PST file is located on a folder on my external HDD that I take with me everywhere and connect to the PC's that I use. That way, I can be on any of the 3 machines that I work with and ALL my Outlook info is current.

That said...AOL is an IMAP email system in Outlook and I am not too familiar with it. I've set it up on 2 of my PC's and it works fine on both so far. My question is... Is IMAP similar to my POP3 accounts in that I have a "master PST" file on my HDD? Or is IMAP totally web based and all the emails that I see are still saved on AOL's server? If I want to save my AOL emails, can I just drag it into one of my 'save' folders that I created for my POP3 saved emails?

I don't want to run into a situation where I have duplicate emails on 2 different machines. Right now, I have AOL 9.0SE software installed on all my machines so I have PFC (Personal Filing Cabinet) files on all machines and thanks to AOL, no way to consolidate them. Older versions of AOL allowed me to backup and restore PFC's and I was able to consolidate that way.

Thanks,
    JErold

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice