Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aopen AP5T Mboard Bios Update Error?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  swwelsh 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone please help me? I was trying to update my aopen AP5T mboard and whilst in ms-dos mode
and attempting to run the program all I keep getting is an insufficient memory error?
I have an Aopen with a 200 mmx pentium with 256 megs of sdram, running W98
first edition. Shouldn't that be plenty of memory?

Thanks for all your help.

Charley

#2 ·
Welcome to TSG!

ohh... I don't know, win98fe is worring me a little. It is a little troublesome and may be causing some errors, but might not. It is still better than Me. 256mb RAM is more than enough... however (and I am not too sure what the numbers are for win98fe) it may be too much. Older OS' were not designed to run an massive amounts of RAM, and back when win98fe came out, 256 was quite massive. How much RAM does your machine support? Is the RAM seated properly? Try unseating it and seating it again. Is this one 256 module or two 128, or what? I think if it is one 256 that might be a problem with 98fe, but I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. Is this RAM new? Check in your bios to make sure the computer is recognizing all of the RAM, it may be only recognizing part or none. If this is new RAM and you are using it with the old RAM, is it made by the same manufacturer? It should also be the same speed. Try these and we will try to narrow things down.

#3 ·
You should run a bios update from a floppy disk booted into DOS, a win98 startup disk for example. There should be plenty of room on the startup disk for the bios flash program and the bios image. It's not going to use any of your extended memory, just the Dos memory under 1 meg. You can type mem from a dos box to see how much memory under 1 meg you have now. Programs that load in Autoexec.bat might use up some of this memory, but when you boot clean from the floppy you should have enough to run the update. Save the old bios to a file (you can put it on the hard disk) if it gives you the option

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.