Apache Passworded Folders - 403 Forbidden

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tacoman359

I followed this tutorial to set up passworded folders in Apache. After completing the tutorial, I found that when I tried to access my website it would ask me for my username and password, but then I would just give me a 403 Forbidden error. For some reason, it is no longer asking me for a username and password at all. I don't think I changed any settings that could have affected this, but I've really got no idea.
EDIT: I restarted my computer and it asked me again. I've got no idea why it did this, because I deleted my private data last time. I might have still been connected to the server even though I left my site, causing it to not ask for a password, though.
I've been through countless pages on Google. Many say to add an index.html file to the folder that it's happening to, but that defeats my purpose of viewing the directories and files, and needing a username and password to access them.

This is what I added to the bottom of my httpd.conf file:
Code:
# Password Protect Folders/Files
DocumentRoot "/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
AccessFileName ht.ac .htaccess
<Directory "/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/files">
AllowOverride All
Options None
Order deny,allow
</Directory>
This is my ht.ac (.htaccess) file:
Code:
AuthUserFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/bin/passwd.txt"
AuthName "a"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

EDIT: Oops, I put this in the wrong section... can an admin move it to the all other software forum?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts