1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apache through DSL and home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yzman, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

hi,

I have apache installed and running on my windows pc. My internet connection is through a DSL connection. the router is one of those small ones (netgear) that get a static ip, and then assign 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.100 to the computers behind it...
    how can i make apache visible to the outside? how can i make requests coming to a certain port on the static ip reach port 80 on my ip?

thanks.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Use the Advanced/Port Forwarding menu on the Netgear. Forward the ports of your choice through to the LAN IP address you wish.

You would be not assigning 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.100 to PCs behind the router -- because 192.168.0.1 is reserved for the router. So the first PC IP address will be 192.168.0.2.

If you're running an application you wish to have visable to the Internet on a single PC then reserve the IP address to be always issued to that PC using the Advanced / LAN IP Setup / Address reservation feature in the router (or manually set the PC to always use that IP address). That way even under DHCP the router will always port-forward to the correct PC.

3. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

it turned out everything was working but i could not access the site by typing the wan ip and port into my browser. when i asked someone to type the ip and tell me what they got, i found out it was working all along, but i could not test it from within the network.

thanks though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice