1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apartment Internet Service problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by squareflips, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squareflips

squareflips Thread Starter

Hi. I've got this problem. I live in an apartment and I am forced to only use the apartment's internet service to go online. There are two ways to access the apartments network; via ethernet port or wifi. Once im connected and try to browse, I will first be taken an http login page to enter my username and password. The problem with this is I can only use the username and password for one computer at a time. Trying to get my second laptop to access the web using the same user and password will give me an error saying it is currently being used. As I have two laptops (work and personal), I would like to share the internet connection using a device that will allow either or both machines to connect simutaneously. What device will I need? A router, modem/router, access point, etc? And what configurations should I try?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

This is a school network, right?

3. squareflips

Hi. Its the network from my apartment that I'm renting out. They have their own network. I'm forced to use their internet access so I have to purchase a 30 day package from them every month. But I guess you can say that it's pretty similar to a school's network, where students can use the wifi but need to login using their usename and password. Each user can only log in once per session. But my room as an ethernet port so I was wondering if there is a network device that will allow me to connect mutltiple machines at the same time using one username and password without using windows internet sharing.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

I've never heard of a rental agreement that "forces" you to purchase internet access from the landlord.

You could always go with your own ISP instead.

5. squareflips

I would also very much like to have my very own ISP instead. But the apartment has a deal with another company that provides the hardware and internet service. I have asked if I could have my own isp and the apartment owner said no. The ISP also needs permission from the apartment to install a line for me. Without the said permission no installation can be done.

Apparantly a lot of apartments (cheaper ones) are doing this because most of the tenants stay only for a couple of months to a year. These apartments basically provide "general" needs (internet, electricity, water, telephone are paid to the apartment). The apartments that do not offer these services are the more expensive ones. By the way, I live abroad in Thailand and I've been doing lots of apartment hunting that I could afford. But none of then will allow me to have my own ISP. I guess it all comes down to profits.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is an unfortunate situation for you, and I know that even around me there are apartment complexes with similar rules (at least for TV). We will not help you circumvent those rules, so I am closing the thread.

One expensive option you have, which I think is not exactly a circumvention, is to get mobile wireless broadband service.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice