1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apartment internet speed issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CloudFrog, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CloudFrog

CloudFrog Thread Starter

Hey everyone!

I just moved into a new apartment, and before signing the lease, I asked about the internet. They assured me that they had a dedicated T1 line to each apartment, and that it would meet my needs. I connect to a remote desktop for work, and have found that I struggle to maintain a connection for more than a few minutes. This obviously creates a huge issue for me.

On top of this, I play online games. The fact that I cannot maintain a stable connection for more than a few minutes makes this unbearable.

I've done a few pings to local servers and found that the response time rarely drops below 500ms. Ouch.

Is this something on my end or theirs? Is there any way to "massage" them into allowing me to have a 3rd party internet line (such as cable) installed? Or am I completely out of luck?

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, there's no way they have a dedicated T1 line to each apartment, that would be prohibitively expensive! A T1 line isn't all that fast, it's only 1.5mbits each way, but it's a totally different animal than the asymmetric consumer broadband accounts and also costs much more.

As far as what you can get them to do to correct the situation, that will depend on what is in your lease agreement.

Do you have cable TV? Can you simply sign up for your own service?

3. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Hola CloudFrog, A T1 is a dedicated circuit which delivers 1.5mb per second both up and down. These are used for reliability, not speed. I have Road Runner High Speed 16mb or higher and it smokes, if I go to www.speedtest.net I some times spike out the meter.
    Any halfway decent DSL or Cable connection will KILL the speed of a DSL for download, although most DSL and Cable connections are limited on the upload side and are thus called ADSL (asymmetrical digital signal loop) and are intentionally limited by the cable providers as most people will not use the larger upload bandwith. T1's are specifically for reliability, not for speed, contrary to popular belief.
    The reason T1's cost more is because they are DEDICATED CIRCUITS. That means there is a line going from the machine that gives out the data to a termination point in the business or home, and no other information is put thru that circuit.
    And from what I understand T1 can be very expensive ( like 90 to 100 bucks a month added onto you rent), now if you live in NYC for instance more than likely you would be able work out a deal to get high speed installed, if your in a condo style apt. with a board of approval, they probably won't approve your drilling new holes in the walls and such?

4. CloudFrog

CloudFrog Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!

I thought it was unlikely too, but she was very clear about it. It's obvious that that isn't the case now.

Unfortunately, our TV is through satellite (or as they put it, FiOS.....), and is also networked throughout the apartment. :\

5. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Ahhh man them crooked landlords - LOL - don't they know the truth will set them free?
    If it were me I'd say let the drilling begin.

6. CloudFrog

CloudFrog Thread Starter

Haha! I spoke to a friend of mine who install VoIPs for apartments, and he said that while they can be prohibitive on any alteration to the wall (i.e. cable install), they can't restrict who provides the service any more than they can say that you can only use a certain phone company for phone line. Ergo, I should be able to get aDSL through Zoomtown.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

7. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

I've seen some pretty tricky ways to get the cable line in without drilling - (my lil bro is a cable guy- musician- web master- next american idol) - dig a small trench from the cable ped and bury the line- then snake the line thru the little space between the sliding glass door and the exterior wall- then under the carpet to the desired location.....And Viola high speed access without all the drywall mess.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice