1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apartment WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by asbeard, Oct 8, 2019.

1. asbeard

asbeard Thread Starter

I recently moved into my first college apartment with three other roommates. One of my roommates bought a router then later accused us of freeloading and said she intended the router to be just for her. I don’t feel like putting up with that. So I’m wondering if I can buy my own modem so that I can have my own WiFi.

There is one modem in my closet and that’s the one that her wifi router is connected to through the Ethernet port.

Our internet provider is suddenlink and I’m sure I’ll have to contact them at some point.

I’m just wondering if having my own internet connection through my own modem and connecting to my own router is even possible.

Thanks for any help.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am not sure if the apartment complex would allow it, but it is possible to have 2 separate connections in a home. The only concern would be the wireless connections between both routers could conflict.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi asbeard, and welcome to TSG.

If that one roommate is the only one paying for the internet service, I would say they would have the right to decide if and how to share it with others in the apartment, within any Terms of Service limits from SuddenLink. If you are splitting the cost then everyone will need to work out a way to share the connection from the modem The only way more than one modem could be used in one apartment would be if there were two or more separate cables running from the apartment to the building's distribution box.

Is the college providing the apartment arrangements? If so, do they say anything about Internet access in the apartments?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice