1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved APC battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyberpac9, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I have an APC UPS backup and in the management software (PowerChute) they (APC) suggest replacing your battery every 3 years. Well, sure enough, 3 years to the day the self-test began failing. All indications within the software show the battery is fine (assuming I am reading it correctly). It is my assumption that the tests begin failing once that hard-coded date is reached at 3 years.

How do I know if I really need to replace my battery, if the software is just being triggered based on the date?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been using APC UPS battery backup units for several years, and the battery in almost every one of them lasts 5 years or longer.

I don't install and use the PowerChute software because I have no need for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

cyberpac9 likes this.
  3. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

So how exactly do you know if the battery is still good or not, if you're not using PowerChute?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I have an APC on one of my computers and a Cyber power on my other one, I use the power chute to shut my computer down normally after 1 min of power outage just to protect the files. The batteries can be bought online a lot cheaper than from them.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could disconnect the main power and time how long the UPS keeps the computer running.

cyberpac9 likes this.
  6. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I've definitely found them cheaper. I just don't know that I need one. Like I said, it seemed odd to me that the day of the 3 year mark (which is noted in the software) the battery started "failing". If I need one, fine I'll buy one. But I don't know that I need one.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

On the cyber power one it has a battery test button and you can run it and it will tell you how long it will run, have to look at APC when I get home. Looked online, have you run a self test?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'd contact APC to have them walk you through some diagnostics. I have two of their newer 1500VA SOHO UPS units. Both have had battery warnings within a year to two years. I called in the first failure to their support line and the tech had me invoke some self test mode by initiating a key sequence/holding down one of the buttons...can't remember. The result of the test indicated a bad battery so the tech sent me a new one. Even with the battery warning, both units seem to be able to provide back up power. But I wouldn't want any critical boxes tied to a UPS in this state; especially if the box has crucial data on it. In my case, the two APC UPS' were only powering my network wall rack.

I'm going to be migrating off of these APC units pretty soon though.

9. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Yeah, the self test started failing the exact day that is hard-coded in the software for replacement. I just find it odd, since all notices within the software say the battery is fine - assuming I'm reading it correctly.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

10. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Good idea. I remember I had to do this when I first got it. I may try reaching out.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

11. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Contacted APC and here are the steps:
    1. make sure something is plugged into a "battery" outlet (I used a desk lamp) in case the battery is bad and loses power, this will immediately let you know.
    2. power off PC, in case loss of power
    3. Make sure the UPS is turned on
    4. Hold the power button until you hear 2 beeps
    5. Immediately release after 2nd beep
    6. If all pass, the light plugged into "battery" stays on and the unit display shows voltage, etc.
    7. If it fails, you'll lose the light plugged into the "battery" and the LCD will show an error like a battery with an X on it.
    And that is how you run a true self-test without PowerChute. I asked what to do if it fails from PowerChute but passes with the steps above. They said to ignore it and go with the test results from above. So basically the software isn't helping in this regards and I'll have to mute all warning sounds. Sigh. But, at least I know my battery is good. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice