1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apologies for any cross posting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xander, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

This is sort of on the XP forum, but I don't know how to move the thread or delete it. But I think I've ruled out XP issues for this problem, pretty sure it's a hardware fault of some sort.

Quick(as possible) summary: Video card fried last week on my 2 1/2 month old computer(fan gave out, overheated). Monitor went black all of a sudden, when I went to fire the computer up, the only things that would work were the processor and vent fans. No hard drive clickage, nothing. Sent computer in to company I bought it from for repairs. Got it back yesterday, supposedly with new video card, and a new processor fan. I say supposedly because looking at this card, I think they just put a new fan on my old one, which obviously wouldn't cut it.

Games wouldn't play on it(used to work fine before). Yesterday they would load up and work for 30 sec.-2 min and then either freeze the system up, or else close down with the "file made an error, would you care to send a report to Microsoft" box. Also had numerous blue screens. Tried to fix it by d/ling updated drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling video card, etc. Nadda

New video card(better quality) and RAM(doubled it from PC 2700 512 to PC 3200 1 gb) came in for me today. Tossed it all in the system, reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled everything from scratch. Installed Warcraft III off the CD...it worked for about 10 minutes, and life was good(though there was some flickerage). And then it froze up the system. Again.

Went to Yahoo Games on Demand again, downloaded the player, downloaded NeverWinter Nights, started it up, it worked for about 30 seconds...and closed down with the error box. Again.

The only improvement is that I'm not getting blue screens due to savrt.sys problems anymore.

It's not a Windows issue...it's a fresh install of Windows. It's not a driver issue, I don't think. I've got all the newest drivers(even for the motherboard). Hell, my Norton isn't even expired now cause of the fresh install. I downloaded all the drivers before the anti-virus, so I dont' think that it's the anti-virus-corrupts-drivers thing..

The new RAM cards seem to work fine, so I don't think it's that. The video card seems solid, and the display adaptor panel in the hardware controller shows A-OK, so I don't think it's that. There's adequate cooling(BIG CPU fan, nice fan on the video card, 2 ventilation fans, and one extra vent for intake).

Nothing else appears to be broken. I surf fine, sound is fine, I burn discs fine, it downloads fine. It just Will. Not. Play. Games. For. Me.

I'm dead out of ideas. Anyone have a clue what the problem here is?

Other general specs:

It's an AMD XP 2700 Plus
    2 Elixir 512 MB PC 3200 DDR RAM sticks
    Apollo Bloody Monster 3 GeForce FX 5600 card
    Asus A7V8X-X motherboard(VIA KT400 VIA VT8235 chipset)
    80 GB hard drive-Maxtor
    350W power supply(Generic)
    Using Norton VirusScan Online and personal firewall(trial version)

2. 2MuckinFuch

2MuckinFuch

I was having the same problem. Now I have a new Norton Security coffee coaster. Norton says they have a patch to fix the problem, but it didn't work for me. :D

3. dai

dai

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice