1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apologies if this is illegal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Diddler, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

As per my previous topics on this site, I have fried my Hard Drive, however as you will appreciate I want to get back up and running on XP however I dont have the disk, I have bought a new Hard Drive (well second-hand) and I have my XP Keycode from the side of my PC but I do not have the Disk...what should I do or is there anything I can do?

Im not sure if this is legal or not so apologies in advance.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

What brand is the pc . . most of the OEM's will sell a replacement CD if you ask nicely

3. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Thats the thing, Its one that was made for me by a friend so no specific manufacturer as you can imagine....The only thing I had to buy at the Time was the XP O/S

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well . . you are going to have to get a XP install disc . . either from the friend, or buy one

5. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

As I thought....thank you

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it was an original Microsoft CD and not one from a computer brand (ie dell) then you will can use another disc from a friend / family etc, providing that it's the same as your one. The reason is that the CD-KEY is specific to the type of XP. For example, my CD-KEY will work on discs that are in volume use (educational). I cannot use the original XP HOME or XP PRO (which what mine is, but educational/MSDNAA version). One way to find out for future reference is when you put the CD in, in My Computer you will see on the CD icon a label of the disc. This is usually say WINXPHOME, WINXPPRO, or WINXPVOL. That's how you would know which CD-KEY to use. (Note that I'm guessing on what the labels are but it's pretty close :D)

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

It is the XP Pro one I have and thankfully it was not Brand Specific. The only thing now is finding a friend with an XP Pro Disk....

Thanks mate(y)

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    [scoff]It's great to be a student... I get it for free :D[/scoff]

:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice