1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Appearance Has Changed in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheProfessor101, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheProfessor101

TheProfessor101 Thread Starter

Happy Holidays Everyone!,

I hope all is well and that everyone's 2012 is winding down in a good way.

With the family having completed their visit and with a number of users accessing my laptop, the general appearance of my OS has changed. Things look very 2002 all of sudden. I've tried to use my limited abilities to fix things but have had no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!,
    Brian

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the general appearance of XP has changed little if at all since 2002 you may need to be more specific about your issue. They changed the desktop background? Or the Start Menu? Or added/subtracted the Quick Launch bar? Or made changes to the Notification Area? ???

3. TheProfessor101

All of the buttons, icons, etc no longer have the same appearance. Instead the Start Button and all the other icons look like they did a generation ago.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on an empty spot of the desktop - Properties - Themes tab - sounds like maybe the Theme is 'Windows Classic" and you want "Windows XP." At least, that's somewhere to look.

5. TheProfessor101

Wow! Do I feel like both a boob and a rube! That was it.

The brother-in-law claimed he configured the slow-running laptop to run better; now I think I've found a number of items he's tried.

As a quick aside: is there a way to cost effectively (i.e., freely) to upgrade from XP to a better OS?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows 8 Upgrade costs $40. Make sure you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant before thinking seriously about such a purchase.

Depending on what software you use and your hardware there are many Linux distributions that you may or may not consider to be better than XP. Ubuntu (and derivatives Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint etc.) is probably the most popular. IMO Puppy Linux is a pretty good light weight option. Here is one list with links. Nearly all are free and nearly all can be tried as a Live CD (or Live USB flash drive) without installing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice