1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Append data in Access 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by holymoly, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I have 4 text data files. I would like to import all data from four files, but into just one access database table.

How do you do that?

2. melonhead

melonhead

Make a new table in access and cut and paste the info from one o your tables. On the first copy and paste access will only let you paste 22 records, but after that first paste, you will be able to copy as many records as you need.

After you have pasted all the records from your first tabe, just do the same for each of the tables. Make sure when you are cutting and pasting that the fields are in the same order.

Good luck!

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    "On the first copy and paste access will only let you paste 22 records"

Never heard that before, Melonhead.

I would use File-Get external data, and pull the first file into a new table.

Pull subsequent files into *existing table*, and pick the first table you created. This'll work fine if all four text files are the same...

4. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Dreamboat, on second text file I imported data but it created a second access table.

I would like to add all data text files to one table but unable to do so. Havn't seen "existing table" in Access.

and yes, all the text files are formatted the same.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    When you hit File-Get external data, choose the file, it should then ask you...

--new table
    --existing table

You'll choose existing table the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times. Send it if you need to: [email protected]

6. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Sorry, but I have Office XP Pro version of Access.

Step by step, I get:

File->Get External Data ->Import or Link Table (I take Import)

there is no New table or Existing Table notification.

Am I missing something?

Frank

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It takes you through some steps on what to do with the columns, then shows you:

In a new table
    In an existing table

But it'll only prolly offer that if you've already got at least one table. If you have no tables, you might not get the option, it may just pull into a new table automatically.

8. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I got it.

Beats cut and pasting.

Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice