1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Apple apparently remote connected to my PC

Discussion in 'General Security' started by GoldenSilence, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoldenSilence

GoldenSilence Thread Starter

Hello, yesterday my stepbrother came to the house and while i knew he was on the mobile phone to apple support, i paid it no attention as i was rushed getting ready to go work. On returning from work later that night i was told by my brother (not the stepbrother) that he (stepbrother) had been on the phone for four hours to "apple support, some guy in Portugal" during this time this support tech guy had attempted and succeeded to gain remote access to my downstairs PC, apparently he was attemting to fix my stepbrothers ipad which his young son had locked and shut him out.

This is somewhat hard to explain to you guys as i was not present to witness this so can only relay 2nd person information.

Obviously as i am the only somewhat tech savvy person in this household, alarm bells are ringing and especially after what my brother then said next.

"he (tech support) couldnt manage to fix the ipad, he couldnt get full control of pc, he could move the mouse around but didnt have access or something along those lines"

4 hours of tech support and no result, why is he trying to access my pc? Is this SOP of Apple? Where did stepbrother get this contact number? Oh my god!

These were my thoughts as my brother then added "the guy said that the computer is infected with thousands of viruses"

I was horrified.

Next day i take a look at the computer. It seems fine, i run a quick scan using microsoft security essentials, nothing, i download adware cleaner, nothing, install malwarebytes and zemana and again nothing. Next i checked download folder to see what programs might have been used, only one exe... Itunes.

What the hells going on?

So i made a new standard user account, ported everything over and passworded the administrator account so this never happens again. This is a windows 10 machine. I am utterly confused. All remote access features were turned off. I cant understand what, how, could this even happen?

Could anyone offer any advice? Im not even sure if im in the correct forum/thread.

Thanks,

GS

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Easy, and it's down to the biggest flaw in computing....the human user. Most scammers, or even legit support techs, simply have the user download a remote access program and they are in.

Most also use legitimate remote access programs like GoToMyPC, Teamviewer, etc so running malware scans won't find them. You need to go through your list of installed programs and see if anything has been installed recently, sort by date. Even then there could be something left behind, in many cases a lot of people will recommend a reset or wipe and reinstall of Windows to ensure there's no remote access software or hidden loggers or other malware. You probably want to change any passwords that may have been saved in any browser and also watch your accounts for a next little while. 4 hours is a long time to have access to a computer and it's odd they would really have no access beyond moving the mouse.

Also, you need to have a talk about internet safety with your step brother.

3. GoldenSilence

Well, this just might be the reason I need to remove win 10 from that machine. In fact, I shall get right on it as I despise it and always have since it just appeared one day. I will reinstall fresh Windows 7 today and use this episode as a pretext!

I have now spoken to my stepbrother and he is adamant it was the real Apple!

This all raises the question of Apple and Microsoft with the pathfinder that is Facebook completely working to erode the last few vestiges of privacy. I’m in shock that they can, based upon a flimsy security question such as “do you have permission to use this PC” remote connect to my system. It’s an outrage. The distance between my stepbrother asking “can I use your PC for a few minutes” and “can I use your PC so Apple can connect remotely” is HUGE!

Anyway still not 100% sure what has happened but at least I can go back to Windows 7 on the downstairs machine. Do you know of any steps I can take to check if my upstairs machine is safe after this because I really do not want to reinstall anything on that one!

Thanks,

GS

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    As long as any one has access to your machines including a pass worded account, then any OS will provide the above issues.
    I would, on the upstairs machine, change your user and Administrator account passwords and not give them to your brother or stepbrother. Hope they do not have accounts that they can access these machines.
    What kind of file sharing are you running on these machines?

5. GoldenSilence

I do nothing like file-sharing apart from share printer and public folder on the WIFI network. The downstairs PC is not really my machine but I look after the security :)whistle:) of the whole shebang. That network sharing is password protected (I can't even remember the password). Also, I think I frustrated the whole thing by turning off key remote access features on both machines but particularly my own machine a long time ago particularly for this kind of reason.

I just found out I can't install windows 7, so I am going to leave it. I will change my password on my own machine, the router and wifi access.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This is not a Windows 10 issue, not sure where you got that from. It's an issue on any OS. Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7.

I think you misunderstand the remote access you turned off. That's simply for the built in Windows Remote Desktop, it has zero effect on third party remote access programs especially one that a user choose to allow.

7. GoldenSilence

No im just saying Windows 10 is to privacy what salt is to slugs. So let me just ask, if i turn off remote control procedures and services in services.mcs then it wont make any difference at all in the above scenario?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    None. Just like if you disable SSH on Linux or OSX, it has no effect on third party remote access programs.

9. GoldenSilence

ok, thanks for the advice.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice