1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apple from PC

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Simon71, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simon71

Simon71 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am a PC user and I have seen the adverts encouraging us all to move to Apple Macs. Can anyone advise the following:

1. How much should I spend on a Mac for simply home office use? I would expect to pay about £800 for a PC.
    2. Do I then need to buy new software to run e-mail, web browse etc?
    3. Can I get Mac versions of all my PC software such as Word, Access etc?
    4. How would this effect my BT broadband Would I need any other equipment?

Any info or advise for someone in my postion would be useful.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Simon

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi Simon71. Glad to hear you are considering joining "the other side." ;)

1. For basic home use and to stay within a budget, I would suggest checking out either the Mac Mini or the 17" iMac. Either one would more than fit your needs.

2. Mac OS X comes with Mail and Safari, for email and web browsing so you would be set.

3. As with a PC, you would need to purchase Microsoft Office for Word, Excel, etc. You can buy Office 2004 for Mac.

4. Your broadband connection would not be affected by whether or not it is a PC or Mac. (In my case, I notice my Macs run faster internet than my PCs.) You could even use the Mac's builti-in Airport Extreme feature and go wireless.

Hope that helps. :)

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

1. Expect to pay a bit more for a Mac, but it'll be worth it.
    2. Firefox and Thunderbird (both from Mozilla, free and open-source) both run on Macs.
    3. There are a couple of free office choices such as, OpenOffice and NeoOffice Home.
    4. As said, your internet connection will not be changed.

Enjoy your Mac! :)

4. Headrush

Headrush

Another option for point 3 is Codeweavers Crossover Office. It will run your Windows version of Office and at ~$50 is a lot cheaper than re-purchasing a Mac version of office.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

CodeWeavers - CrossOver Mac

Both of the programs that I suggested open Office docs too, so I would try them out before you buy something.

6. Headrush

Headrush

As long as all the original poster just wants a comparable word processor. :p
    He/she specifically asked about a Mac version of Office and some people want/need MS Office.
    (I have them all, NeoOffice, MS Office, Koffice all running in OS X :cool: )

You are correct in that for most people OpenOffice easily fits the requirements they need. Most people only use a fraction of the tools in Office and often a true page layout application is more suited and easier for the things most people need.

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

Yes, most people only use the basic features in each. I don't, because I haven't opened any of the Office applications in months!

8. thebarksalebunch

thebarksalebunch

I was wondering if there is an alternative to Outlook Express or Outlook in Mac. I'd like to get a Mac this time around, but I have to use OE for my online classes. Also, I realize that you can buy software(Desktop Parallel, I think is the name of it) that allows you to run Win xp, but I'd rather not use Internet Explorer or OE because of the increased risk of viruses and spyware. Part of the reason I want a Mac is so that I don't have those worries. Any help or advice would be appreciated. (I'm trying to talk the hubby into the Mac, so any pros I can throw his way would be nice.) :D

9. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi there -

Microsoft does have Outlook Express for Mac, but it is only for OS 8 - 9, not for OS X. You can check out OE for those older versions here if that is what you need.

If you do get a new Mac, you'll be using OS X 10.4.8 - the latest version called Tiger.

If you are using Mac OS X, you could use Microsoft's Entourage X with the Exchange Update to run your Mac in an Exchange server environment (in other words, to do what you want to do.)

I've used Entourage and it's a slick email program. It's easy to use, like OE.

Hope that helps. :)

10. ferrija1

ferrija1

You could use Thunderbird from Mozilla.

11. thebarksalebunch

thebarksalebunch

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. A lot of food for thought. I'm also thinking of building my own pc/mac. Any suggestions there?

12. ferrija1

ferrija1

You probably want to create a new thread (in hardware) for that.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice