1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apple look-alike problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Nikilet, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

I've got an older Gateway laptop that I've been trying to get cleaned up and fixed up for my 6-year-old grandson to play games on.

Things have gone pretty well, thanks to help from lots of good people. The teenager who was using this previously thought it would be neat to make it look like an Apple. When I first started on this thing it didn't know whether it was a Windows computer or an Apple. When it boots, it runs through the Gateway screen, and then the Windows screen, but I still have a big white box with an apple and "Mac OS X" on it right before it goes to the desktop. I guess it's not causing any problems with the operation of the computer, but it's really bugging me.

Does anyone know what could still be left on here that is causing that Apple screen?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The previous owner will have used a Boot Editor to make this Apple screen appear or they may have been clever and done it manually by editing one of the system files. You may find the software used is still installed on the PC, look for something like BootSkin or Resource Hacker.

If you had posted you version of Windows I could have given some more info.

3. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

***Note: I forgot to mention previously that I get this same screen when I restart or shut down.

The OS is Windows XP.

I looked in Add/Remove and there is nothing at all that even comes close to the things you mentioned, or even that makes me question if "that could be it."

Like I said, it's not the end of the world but if you have any more advice for how I could fix it, please share. Thanks for your time so far!

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

5. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

I really appreciate your help and the time you have given me, but I think I'll just grin and bear it. I fear fixing myself right out of a computer. If it wasn't working now I'd throw caution to the wind, but since it is I don't want to take unnecessary chances.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

That's fine, and your welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice