1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apple Software Update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gandalf458, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gandalf458

gandalf458 Thread Starter

I have iTunes, Safari and a couple of other bits of Apple software running on my XP Home PC. No probs with them but the Apple software update won't run. It gives me the unhelpful message: "Apple Software Update server could not be found. Check your internet settings and try again." Needless to say I have no probs with my internet settings for any other purpose.

Any idea what's wrong, please?

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

I'm not really sure if this can solve your problem, but are you using Wireless Zero Configuration?

Try reinstalling it, and if it doesn't work post back.

3. gandalf458

Thanks. This is a fresh install. The update only seems to be available with a download (iTunes, Safari or whatever). The Apple Software Update never seems to have worked for me. Last time it installed itself I just uninstalled it. Are you suggesting I stop the Wireless Zero Configuration service first?

4. tacoman359

tacoman359

I'm just wondering if you're using the Wireless Zero Configuration or something else. I've got no idea how Apple Software Update works, but it might only recognize that you're connected to the internet if you're using the Wireless Zero Configuration.

5. gandalf458

Sorry, yes, I am using Wireless Zero Configuration.

6. tacoman359

tacoman359

Go to the Control Panel, open Internet Options, click the Connections tab, click LAN settings at the bottom, and check the Automatically detect settings. (example)
    If it still doesn't work, take a look at this and go through everything it says on that page.

If neither of those worked, do you have a firewall installed?

7. gandalf458

Thanks, yes I had switched off automatically detect settings for an earlier problem which I think is solved although switching it back on doesn't solve the problem. iTunes can connect to the store without a problem. Think I'll just uninstall ASU. Life's too short.

Many thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice