1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apple Versus PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BtF8i4, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

I have been a life long user of PC's. But I am constantly experiencing errors with Windows, whether it be install/uninstall issues, registry errors, driver errors, conflicts, blue screens, etc. These cause significant down time to resolve. If I purchase an Apple computer, what sorts of technical problems canl I expect to have? Which is better in terms of reliability / headaches, and why?

2. caperjack

caperjack

that all the fun of owing a PC
    only had an older mac for a short time a few yrs back but never had any issue with it .just didn't like using it [so use to windows and all its programs ]
    I say the mac will be trouble free for you ,Im thinking on making the big switch myself one day

3. geek117

geek117

Macs are by no means trouble free. They do however work very well, and are very well made. It really depends on how you use your computer, and what kind of software you need. Just about anyone could qualify to be a Mac user, but not everyone needs a Mac.

Mac has an advantage over Windows computers, in the fact that they write their software for a very limited number of hardware configurations... thus, their software runs very well and has a limited number of issues. Microsoft has a disadvantage because they write software to support several hundred thousand hardware configurations with an unknowable amount of peripherals.

People gripe that there are issues with the millions of pieces of third party software written by nobodys that "know a little something about visual basic," and then claim that "Microsoft Sucks." The fact of the matter is, it's a wonder their software works as well as it does with the lack of quality of everything it supports.

4. janikPilot

janikPilot

It really depends on what you're using it for. As geek117 said, they specialize their software for their computers. MacOSX is actually configured to run only on the hardware your computer has. When you buy a PC, you're getting parts that are made around the world and then put together with Windows. Apple makes all their computers and hardware, and they barely ever crash because of it.

Apple specializes in multimedia - music, video, pictures, graphics, etc. Walk into any photography studio or video editing room and I can almost guarantee you they are using an Apple computer. Using a Mac for everyday tasks is a lot simpler than a Windows computer, as Windows computers are made more for programming because of their wide range of uses and compatibility. I use my MacBook Pro for emails, internet browsing, image editing, word processing, etc. If you asked me to program on a mac though, I would laugh at you.

Also, anytime you download an application or change a setting, Mac optimizes itself. That's why there's never a need to defragment a mac, and they run smoothly.

Some people think Mac's are immune to any virus around the world. That's not true. However, they are immune to any Windows virus. The reason Mac's don't become infected often is because there are so little of them, so criminals making viruses and trojans have better chances with a Windows attack. You can run a Mac with no antivirus or protection whatsoever (And I do) and never encounter a problem.

Basically, if you're planning on using a Mac for everyday browsing and multimedia, you'll love it.

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Windows guy here...versatility being the reason
    But if one has some extra cash one can get a mac ...and then boot to windows if need be,granted you have a legit disk of windows you can put to use.
    If one just wants the best bang for the buck though windows IMO

6. geek117

geek117

On the topic of Macs Vs. Viruses, it is true that Macs are immune to Windows based viruses which are written in an entirely different way. However, the more common attack nowadays is run through javascripts and flash content which still has quite the effect on Safari (the Apple Web Browser). If you don't believe me, I have personally seen several Macs infected with bogus anti-malware applications such as (i'm really not kidding on this one), Anti-virus XP. Mac users have been targeted by these fake apps in the past, just not to the same extent as Windows users. The bottom line is whatever platform you are using, it is best to have a tiered defense platform and use common sense when browsing the web.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

Ummm...no.

Apple is not a hardware manufacturer. They are a hardware bundler.

8. fewkesy

fewkesy

The easiest way that I found of working out which is best for you is to make a list of all the things you'll use your computer for and all the software that you'll need, and see if a mac is capable of doing everything you require or you need to use windows.

Might I add however if there is one single program, or maybe even a couple, macs can still run windows so you can occasionally boot into windows or even use a virtual machine.

9. janikPilot

janikPilot

I didn't mean that exactly, but I'm saying they do more than Microsoft does. They pay a lot of attention to the components that go into every mac, that's why theres only a limited amount of models. You can find a plastic Windows laptop whose battery will die in a year for $500. With the exception of the original macbook, the MacBook Pro and Air are made with unibody aluminum and have a battery that's good for over 1000 charges.

10. Jordster

Jordster

Also just to throw in and i dont know if anyone's mentioned it because there's a LOT of text already, but you save well over 500 dollars when you build a PC than when you buy a Mac..

11. geek117

geek117

Yes I agree with this. And to an experienced user, running a linux distro will save you even more, and perform just as well as any Mac. However to a less experienced user that is unfamiliar with the software/hardware, you are much better off purchasing a pre-built system that has a warranty somebody else will handle repairs for.

12. janikPilot

janikPilot

You could easily save well over a thousand dollars seeing as it's possible to build a computer for $72. Popular Science did it :)

13. geek117

geek117

What'd I say about Linux?? :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!