1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Applet/WinME Troubles

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by EarsToVanGogh, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EarsToVanGogh

EarsToVanGogh Thread Starter

Hi there folks. Firstly, I am grateful for any help that you all can offer. I am by no means a computer-tech type person, but I hope that I can fix this stupid, little problem.

I am using Netscape (the most current version) on a WinMe.

Here's the tale: (I took great care in writing this pathetic story. LOL)

I spend all day writing long, boring documents in Word.

I slap on some Excel spreadsheets - equally boring.

I check my email. (Nice messages from Mom.) :)

I see if there are any new Captain Underpants items on eBay.

I feed the dogs, check on the parentals and the grandmas - nobody dies on my watch!

I sit down and want to just play Hold 'Em poker on Yahoo. (Yes. Evil Yahoo.)

Applet - No go.

I checked with the bodo.com site - JavaScript enabled, but get the no-applet-install-the-ugly-blue-puzzle-piece-plug-in icon.

Went to the linked SunJava download - Installed - no go, uninstalled, installed from a different link, all to no avail.

I don't even really understand what Java is all about. I don't understand a lot of computer stuff, but I'm willing to learn and try to figure things out. If you've got ideas, I'm all Ears.

(Is anybody else laughing at this post? I'm crackin' myself up.) :p

Thanks!

2. EarsToVanGogh

EarsToVanGogh Thread Starter

Update:

Things are still a bit wonky, but I found a way to "unstick" my Java when it locks me up. (I think.)

I tried to go to the bodo.com site and the little Java coffee cup icon loaded on the task bar, the site began to load and then everything got hung up again.

I double-clicked the Java icon and open up the console. If I hit "Clear" twice and then close the console, the page that I am trying to load will give one final moment of resistance and then load. As in the bodo case, everything showed that I was script and applet enabled.

Well, I don't know what hitting the "clear" button on the Java console is good for, nor do I know the ramifications of doing so, but I still seem to be up and running - and I don't have to ctrl+alt+del to "end tasK" and get out of my locked up browser.

By the way, does anybody know why when I hover my cursor over certain icons on the task bar (at the bottom-right of the screen), they will disappear? This happens with the Java icon and the Netscape icon. (With the Netscape one only if I have had to "end task" it and then I don't have the quick-launch option - I have to launch from the desktop icon.) Just wondering.

So, if anybody has some ideas for my Java problem, I'd still appreciate knowing how to fix it... the real way.

Thanks! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice