1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Applic errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adomeyko, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adomeyko

adomeyko Thread Starter

undefined

Whenever I try to exit Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer I get an application error notice: for Windows Explorer the title is "Acrobat IEHelper: IEExplore.exe - Application Error ...". For Internet Explorer the heading is "Proxy Desktop: explorer.exe - Application Error ...". In both cases I have to hit Enter to exit the program. Please help!

2. mobo

mobo

Go to start / run / msconfig / startup folder
    then look for the line containing adobe and uncheck it then apply and reboot as requested.

3. adomeyko

adomeyko Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response; I did as you suggested, but there was no reference to Adobe at all, and the problem persists, except that now the error message does not say "Acrobat IEhelper" but just "IEexplore".

4. mobo

mobo

First please get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
    http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
    Download 'Hijack This to its own folder http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

5. adomeyko

adomeyko Thread Starter

Hi Mobo;
    I had already removed all invaders (including a very nasty browser hijacker) from my computer, but I applied the 'tried and true' method of disconnecting all my programs one by one and the culprit turned out to be Stopzilla. Although it has worked perfectly in the past, for some reason it produced the ap errors I mentioned. so I have unloaded it and notified Stopzilla; I have not received a reply as yet. Thanks for all your help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!