1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

application data on different drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rainforest123, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

Windows Vista Business, 32 bit
    New installation; upgraded from XP Pro SP2
    Installed XP for 1st time on this computer, & upgraded to Vista, within past 3 hours.

The PC has removable HDDs, which allows me to boot to a different OS [ Vista, XP ].
    HDD #1 - Vista Installation, Program Installation
    HDD #2 - XP Installation, Program Installation
    HDD #3 - data [ My Docs; hopefully "application data" ].

I would like to move "user\application data" to a different HDD within the computer, so that I can share the data with an XP HDD.

If this is possible, how do I do it for Vista?

If this is possible, how do I do it for XP?

Thanks for your help.

RF123

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can move the store but not the folder as that is part of Windows. What email program are you trying to share? BTW I have been trying to do this exact thing for years and have finally given up in XP, maybe Vista can do it but I doubt that.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you will be better off if you just save and open yours files from your own controled drives and folders. I have been doing this for years and I save very little to My Documents or Users folders. Even on my Vista machine with one drive I make my own folders at the root of the drive and use them most of the time.

Most of the stuff saved under the User/application data can not be used by another OS.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can move the folder and create a symlink to it on the old location. The new Vista "mklink" command will do that, but whether the OS and applications will accept that is another question. A hard link would work for sure, but that can only be made for folders that reside on the same drive.

I have My Documents symlinked to another drive and that works fine.

There are a number of good programs available for making these things. Sysinternals "junction" is the most often used. But there are also GUI's, like "Junction Link Magic", "Winbolic Link", "NTFS Link", and "WinHardLink".

Vista has many default symlinks so that all the old XP commands still work. For example, "Documents and Settings" still exists and is linked to "Users" so command lines using the former access the latter (with more typing :D).

Vista's updated version of NTFS has a lot of features that I'm just beginning to explore, but I don't believe that it supports hard links to other drives.

But as DaveA says, I don't think that there would be compatibility between different OS's and the structure/contents of the Application Data folder. And Vista has added the Program Data folder, too, just to complicate the issue.

5. rainforest123

WOW!

I certainly came to the correct place to ask my question.

Rich-M, I am going to use Outlook 2003 for 1 email account [ professional mail ] & probably Thunderbird for other accounts [ personal mail ].

I have a lot to learn, about the programs you mentioned, El.

DaveA, what do you mean by "save and open yours files from your own controled drives and folders."?

Thanks for your replies.

RF123

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I can tell you that OE and Thunderbird will not access another store no matter what you do.
    I wonder if Outlook would work. Tools, options maintenance can relocate the "store", and possibly more than 1 pc can access that, that is one program I never tried to do it with.

7. rainforest123

R-M:
    Darned!

Yes, I am aware that I can do it with Outlook.

Oh well.

RF123

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't really know that...we have to try it to see if we can access the store from another pc.

9. rainforest123

The reasons I want to move "application data" to a different drive are to share the settings & bookmarks of FireFox and contacts & email folders of Thunderbird; and to make data backup easier.

RF123

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would be easy enough to set up backup software on both installations that would synchronize the data between the 2 partitions. That way, on schedule, and no matter which you were running, the files would be synchronized and the same for both.

Karen's Replicator
    Cobian backup
    VersionBackup
    JaBack

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would love to see that El, I gave up trying to do that a year ago but I could find no way to share the same email files over a network.

12. rainforest123

El:
    Cool!

RF123

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's pretty easy to set up. I do a similar thing between my Thunderbird mail on my old XP installation that is now a VMWare virtual machine running in Vista. But because the VM does not always exist, I needed a third folder. So now the shared folder is always updated by Karen's with the new mail from either account and the mail in the common folder is synchronized into each mail account so (within a 15 minute span) I always have the same mail in both accounts.

14. rainforest123

I think I found a solution for FireFox.
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#move

Move an existing profile or restore a backed up profile

It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Firefox to use that as your profile. This section explains how to do this.

1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
    2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows XP, move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\Stuff\MyProfile. If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore.
    3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Firefox:
    * On Windows Vista/XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
    * On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
    * On Linux, the path is ~/.mozilla/firefox/
    * On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/
    4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location. If you are using a non-relative pathname, the direction of the slashes may be relevant (this is true for Windows XP).
    5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
    6. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox.

Now, on to Thunderbird.

RF123

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know if it can be moved. I only copy it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice