1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Application Error "cac5_appcompat.txt"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Waynetothechain, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Waynetothechain

Waynetothechain Thread Starter

"C:\DOCUME~1\Winxp\LOCALS~1\Temp\cac5_appcompat.txt" (I understand that this is for the error reporting, its the only info I could copy past though. )

So, after spending about a week trying to figure this out... i've given up. Then I spent another week trying to find a support site (that doesn't charge... MICROSOFT). Ok then-

On to my problem:

Any and every program that I open gives me a message "_______(application name) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

For more info- yada yada yada"

Then it has the two options "Debug, and Close"

Every program I utilize will give me this error, and in some cases (AIM, BF2142's EA Downloader), wont even work/load. I can use the internet, I just can't click the Debug, or Close buttons. I just throw them into the background hah. THAT strategy hasn't helped me any yet lol.

What i've done to try and fix it:

First, I went into the diagnostic mode and ran:
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware
    Advanced Windows Care V2

When I realized those didn't work, I rebooted again into diagnostic mode and did the same ones PLUS:

WinsockXPFix
    and RegCure

Somewhere in the process I downloaded that "VirusBuRsters" junk lol.. oh its a mess.
    (but thats fixed and gone)

So i've been having a bit of trouble and ANY help is very much appreciated.

Recently uninstalled IE7 because it seemed that the problems were occuring after I installed that.

ALSO, I unsuccesfully attempted installing a sound card with my tower turned off in which case I realized some cables weren't fitting right with my computer so I took it out.

Thanks guys​
    (P.S. I scoured the forums looking for answers, and pretty much trying alot of the ones that had them with no luck. If you have any links, that will help 2)
    :mad:

2. Waynetothechain

Waynetothechain Thread Starter

Dude, you uninstalled Windows IExplorer? Did you restart afterwards?... ya... it was Windows IExplorer eh?... Thank god we are getting decent programs from windows!! YAY For richers doing half ***!

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:

Your registry and your data. You will never be sorry.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516690