1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Application Error-referenced memory at "0x00000014"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vman_7, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vman_7

Vman_7 Thread Starter

I keep getting this Application Error

The instruction at "0x76c91645" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read"

Click on ok to terminate the program

I get it closing certain programs by clicking on the X in upper right hand corner.

like closing taskmgr.exe, spybot, adware, even HiJackthis, and some others.

Ran adware, spybot, scanned for errors using Norton, scanned for virus etc.

Nothing seems to help.

Any help would be Appreciated

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

What is the specification of your computer, Windows Version?
    How much RAM and how much "virtual memory" is set?

3. Vman_7

Vman_7 Thread Starter

Pentium 4 2.0GHz, 256MB memory, Windows XP Home, Virtual memory 800 MB

Did it again after closing System,
    rundll32.exe - Application Error (with the following info that I posted above)

4. noobie777

noobie777

run memtest86

5. Vman_7

Vman_7 Thread Starter

I try posting the log from Hijackthis, but I get hung up, and have to reboot

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

7. Vman_7

Vman_7 Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I will try those, and if I can post the results.

tried to post the log from Hijackthis, but I get hung up.

8. Vman_7

Vman_7 Thread Starter

Sorry I never got back here to post :(

After my last post the next day the computer got stuck in dos and just kept rebooting. So I ended up taking it in to the local tech shop. Then took about a week before I got it back.

Computer was still messed up, but at least I could get into the registry etc.

The problem was still there, but not as bad, soon as I got online it started all over again. So I used Hijack this, found a bunch of stuff I have never seen before. Also looked at the registry, pretty messed up.

So for the last week or so have been backing up stuff that I have not had the chance to before, figuring out plans for HD etc.

I figured I might as well Reformat the HD, Partition it and start fresh

Now I just need to figure out how to partition and what size partitions I should use. But I will have post that in another Post. :)

Vman_7

9. j_iliz

j_iliz

I got my problem solved.

My application was working fine without any changes to my system which is why I was so confused. Turns out that when my application starts, it auto-opens the last directory that was worked in.

I had taken one of the files in that directory and modified it to print text on the photo using a different application. Therefore my original application which usually starts out with showing thumbnails caused the error pop-up because it is not used to non-photo information being inside of the file.

I renamed the directory that was last worked in by the application and viola¬Ö my things now works again.

I was able to single out the faulty file, opened it up with a different application and noticed it was the one I placed the text inside of weeks earlier. I deleted the file to not cause any future problems and now I am as happy as a clam at high tide.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353918