1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Application Errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigredpk, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredpk

bigredpk Thread Starter

First this post consists of two separate unrelated problems.

WinXP Professional SP3 build 5512.
    AMD Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    768Mb 8800GTX nVidia Card

Eset Nod32 Smart Security v3.0.667.0
    Spybot S&D v1.6.0.31
    PerfectDisk 11 for defragging.

1. Whenever I attempt to shutdown my PC, I have started getting hundreds of Application Error messages. I am not sure when they started, since the PC is on for days/weeks at a time. It is regularly scanned for viruses and spyware, and also regularly defragmented. They all are identical just different applications:
    Same memory location on all of them. Not sure what to do about this one..I've tried searching but didn't find any relavent topics. All simply suggest virus scans and spyware scans. One topic I saw defragmenting as a fix, though I find it hard to believe that defragging would fix this issue. However, as I said above, all 3 are done regularly anyway.

2. I have read and read on the topic, but I can't seem to find any solutions to it. In the past, I used to have my main PC setup with WinXP Pro Sp2 and used Remote Desktop Connection to connect to it from school. This allowed me to have all my system preferences while I was in the school's computer labs, which I really liked. I had many problems after a format somewhere before SP3 was released, but that turned out to be because of nvidia's software removed a registry setting that was needed. See this thread on nvidia for that info.

However, after upgrading to SP3, I have encountered a very annoying error: "Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected." From what I've read online, the error typically relates to SP3 users who use custom themes. However, I do not use any custom theme and am using the Windows Classic theme, but I unticked that in the rdc options and tried again anyway. No luck. Then I read that some people have problems displaying their computer at full resolution, so I tried turning full screen off first and replicating the PC's resolution (1280x1024), still no luck. I tested all resolutions in between the lowest and the highest and the only one's that worked were 800x600 and lower. Ticking fullscreen would break the software again, so my RDC only works in windowed 800x600. I have read many theories to the cause of this, and have also seen hundreds of unanswered questions regarding similar situations, all having upgraded to SP3.

Any help on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigredpk

bigredpk Thread Starter

Hm, I assume you deleted your post, but not sure why. Anyway, I followed your suggest for the most part, but then started thinking. After restarting the computer, wouldn't the memory location be different for the running processes? Meaning, I would have to do this during a shutdown, which I think is impossible since Windows typically doesn't allow new processes to start during a shutdown. Although I guess I can start a shutdown, get an error then abort the shutdown "shutdown.exe -a". I'll try this later today and see what I can find.

3. jdean

jdean

I tried to delete my message but I guess you got it anyway. I realized that my example was wrong, the address was not for the Logitech driver but was the address that is often used by the application itself. However, since you've read this far, it's still worth a try.

Memory locations are typically the same. You can see this if you start an app, check the addresses of the exes and dlls, close the app, and then restart it again. Each process has its own address space and each executable (exe, dll, etc.) has a preferred load address which is used if there is no conflict.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!