1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Application file type ... everything opens in notepad 2 (oops)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SgtSlaughter, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter Thread Starter

To make a long story short, every thing thats of the "Application file type" now opens in Notepad 2. It's not just .exe or a specific file format, but of the file type, kind of like "audio" as a file type but "application" (sorry if its a bit mundane, but i had problems communicating that fact to someone else when i asked them for help) Anyway, the .exe file association fix won't work because of this, and there is no "Application file type" fix. :(

Thanks
    Josh

EDIT: By the way, I'm using XP Pro SP2

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Most of the fixes on the Dougknox page are .reg files so I don't know why they wouldn't work.

But I will upload something for you to try. Download, unzip it, right click on it and select "install" from the right click context menu.

Also, for what it's worth, damage to the .lnk file association can cause weird behavior -- so try to install that. If you can manage to run regedit, you can try "importing" these fixes rather than just double clicking the .reg files.

Attached Files:

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The INF file I uploaded may allow for a partial fix. Then the lnk file fix should work for the rest, although it may have to be imported using regedit.

For what it's worth that "error accessing the registry" error that the other poster got is often a show stopper due to a damaged registry hive.

6. SgtSlaughter

I can run .reg files, there just isn't one for what I need. The .exe one and .lnk one on doug's page don't work, rather I need one for a whole file type not just a file extension. Unfortunately, I can't run any program, with some odd exceptions. For example, I can run Photoshop fine when I double click a .psd, but not when I try to run it through the start menu or file explorer. Anyway, it wouldn't be very much trouble at all if I'm forced to wipe and reinstall, as I've gone through other Windows things before.

One thing I did notice is that when in the folder options window, on the file types tab, unlike any others, the application file type will not let me click the "advanced" button. It is grayed out. Yet another reason windows is great. :mad:

Thanks for any help

7. SgtSlaughter

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The term "file type" and "file extension" are interchangeable.

I'm not sure what you are looking at in Folder > Options > File Types.

I vaguely recall that there was an "application" extension in pre XP systems but there is nothing of that nature now unless I am just missing it.

Are there any "applications" which do open from Start > Run -- or just clicking on them directly.

The type of "open" command executed for many programs can be found in this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications

edit there is something called an "application manifest" in XP (see attachment) but this can't be what you are referring to.

And checking my old Win98 box, there is indeed an "application" file type associated with EXE's which offers no options for editing, just a "new" button.

I believe this was used for creating new file types.

Attached Files:

9. SgtSlaughter

The attachments hopefully will help you understand what exactly is messed up. As you can (hopefully) see, it's not just a certain extension, unless I'm missing something. But to my knowledge in seems to be some sort of "group" in which file extensions are in. But I may very well be wrong.

Also do not these were taken on my laptop, not my desktop, which is the problem computer.

Attached Files:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, I think you're barking up the wrong tree here in focussing on what you are calling "application". As you see in that file type list it normally refers to any "exe" -- which is what Windows Media Player is.

The currently registered file types are what you see in the left hand window -- not the "new" drop down list which would be for creating something new and associating it with a program or specialized file type.

The "application" file type does not exist as anything independent in Folder > Options > File types in XP.

Have you successfully merged the registry patches for both EXES and LNK files? Saying they "don't work" doesn't tell us whether you got an error trying to merge them, or they just didn't resolve the problem.

11. SgtSlaughter

Ah ok, sorry for the confusion.

They both merged successfully, but the problem still persists. Meh, I'd love to fix this but reinstalling is sounding pretty good atm.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So do I understand correctly that no matter what "application" you try to run, if it has an "exe" file type extension -- you end up seeing "notepad

And this applies both to all old applications and anything new you try to download and run?

For example:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/startuplist.zip

Can you run this and upload the log as an attachment?

Be advised that "over the top" reinstalls do not always resolve problems like this.

If you can run applications with no prior install history you can do some realtime file and registry monitoring with filemon and regmon:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice