Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Applications closing themselves!

6K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Katzy 
#1 ·
Hi,

Wierd problem I've been having recently in XP pro.

When I'm using Windows Explorer and am scrolling through thumbnails, or when I click the Destop tab in Destop Properties, and other instances while using Internet Explorer - this is what happens: the application will quickly close itself -- then the screen blanks out to the background colour -- then returns me to the destkop. All windows are now closed. It seems to be doing this right after it dispays pictures on thumbnails. I'll scroll up or down - and a thumbnail picture will load - one instant later it happens.

With icons it doesnt seem to be such a problem, but with thumbnails it is. And it doesnt like me clicking on tabs that have graphical stuff on them.

I ran a disk check, Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Tuneup Utilities, installed the latest display drivers and direct x.

But yeah, no good. I dont know what's going on.

Regards,
Kris

PS - It is fine in graphically intensive games like Call of Duty or Warcraft 3. It's the XP interface that is affected.

See less See more
#6 ·
Originally posted by Katzy:
This might seem silly, but what type of mouse are you using? It's not, by any chance, a five-button one, is it?
It's a three button optical mouse. I got recently. The middle button doubles as a scrolling wheel. I considered putting the old mouse in again as a comparison, because it was USB and this one isn't - but I seem to recall I was having these problems before I got the new mouse.

Can't be 100 percent sure, but I'm pretty sure.

#7 ·
Originally posted by dai:
when the screen does that it has recovered from a crash, have a look in the event viewer and see what it reports
Somebody else said this too, but I don't know which event viewer you mean. Not eventlog.dll? Because I can't seem to read that.

ALSO, I HAVE RECENTLY NOTICED:

That whenever I try to change my wallpaper, as soon as I click on the picture name - the Properties window crashes, with no change to the wallpaper.

Wierd hey?

It's not a major MAJOR problem and it doesnt seem to be getting worse (at the moment). It would just be cool to not have it. Yaknow? :)

#8 ·
Control panel/Administrative tools/Event viewer.

The reason that I asked about the mouse is because you can, with some, assign events to the extra buttons. One of the events you can use is "Close Application". With that, should you inadvertantly hit the wrong button, whatever app is to the front will magically vanish. I just wondered if this might have been set, without your knowledge...

#9 ·
My Event Log records the following:

EVENT
--------
Date:6/12/2003
Time: 2:55:49
Type: Information
User: N/A
Computer KRIS
Source: Winlogon
Category: None
Event ID: 1002

Description: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-----

Somebody suggested I should create a new user account. I did this but experienced the same problems.

I've been 'googling' this error and people seem to be saying that installing XP SP1 or Explorer SP2 does nothing. I read on one forum that it might be something to do with a dodgy *.dll that a program has created. One guy deleted a *.png file that he'd narrowed the problem down to somehow.

I install stuff all the time so it's hard to say exactly what it could be.

I dunno, what do you reckon is my next move?

Thanks guys for your help already,
Kris

#11 ·
Well, it's fixed now!

I felt inclined to more thoroughly investigate the spyware possibility after some advice I recieved. Spybot - Search & Destroy found something called 'Internet Optimizer' (ever heard of it?) ... which reminded me of something. Every time I've had a DNS error in Explorer lately, I've been redirected here:

http://www.internet-optimizer.com/Help/Nav...s=wsi11&rid=r01

'This could be the problem,' I thought to myself. 'I'm going to check it out.'

I'd assumed running Ad-aware would be adequate in eliminating the spyware possibility. But nooooooo - it wasn't! Spybot fixed my problem. It even deleted a couple of *.dll and *.zip files.

Spybot found about 15 extra problems on my system, this is right after I'd used Ad-aware aswell. So anyone else that is having my same problem - please don't neglect to scan with multiple softwares. No single one does it all, right?

love and peace,
Kris

PS - Thanks Katzy for your help too. And I'll keep that stuff in mind for future. I'm just so overwhelmed right now with how wonderful and helpful the people on tech forums are. Whenever I've had problems with my computer, tech forums is where I've solved them! You guys rock!

#12 ·
You're very welcome! I'm quite a nooB, myself, but they all seem a happy bunch of help freaks!

AdAware is POO! It used to be really good, but it wasn't developed for some time and, I believe, they had some internal squabbles, too. Spybot is the mutt's nuts. I think you'll find that quite a lot of these "Internet Boosters" are spyware, in much the same way as Gator is/was. If you use IE (YUK!), there's a prog called "Spyware Blaster" that stops a lot of spyware even getting through. I'd rather use a pen and paper than use IE, so it's of no use to me! IE is a bloated old dinosaur!

I have Spybot set to run at first boot of the day!

Welcom to the TechGuy forums, Krisbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.