1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Applications log - ''errors' showing -now what?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by EDYTHE, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EDYTHE

EDYTHE Thread Starter

:rolleyes: as you can tell from this question i know NOTHING! anyway -read somewhere about Applications log ...what is it and do i ''do' anything about it?! or what is showing on it?
    i have Win. xp -sp2... have CAeTrust security suite - just scanned for viuses & Spyware - all clean - there was a quarantened cookie that was taken care of but nothing else showed up.
    However, when i opened the Applications log i saw several red errors and several ''warnings' ...
    so what do i do about them; do i keep the log or 'clear' it and do i do any 'maintenance for it the same way i 'clear' the History folders/file folders on an ongoing basis ...
    Thanks in advance - edythe

2. CTPhil

CTPhil

A log is just a log, no need to clear it. The bigger issue is, what do the error messages say? (Double click on the message).

3. EDYTHE

EDYTHE Thread Starter

thank you for writing ...here is what most of the 'red' items are:
    ''user nv'
    Umex agent'
    appl. hanging, faulting appli. dru tsn 32 ex fault address ....
    I haven't had any problems that i am aware of because of these items ....
    By current 'headache' is 'why' can't i get access the area that shows my current installed Updates from Microsoft after i install them ...that 'link' (from Update page/Option..''check your currently installed updates'' will not function - it starts to load - i see a brief 'flash' of the page-it disappers & i get this error message: could not access area error code ox800A128f.... i still get 'update notices' but i can't check to make sure the updates took affect after i click on 'install'...
    last week i took update for (if i remember correctly) NET but i didn't know what that was.. . i'm wondering if that caused any problems .. also...when at the Update site (tools/windows updates)
    i see there is a 'new' version of Updates that one has to click on to access the new area - i'm a tad 'tentative' to click/open and see ..don't know if a 'download' would start just by clickong on 'go/start' , etc. thanks again for any input - Edythe

4. TeeJayP

TeeJayP

When you get the error code after the Windows Update fails, Click on it. It should take you to the appropriate windows help page for that particular error.

5. TeeJayP

TeeJayP

I would check that out first; (Error Code 0x800A128F); You can also sometimes succesfully search for the error codes by name, (number) in the help pages. Also, If you are having a problem with the Windows Updater, installing the new updater may fix it, (may not). I understand your concern about updating something when the updater may not be working correctly. My guess is that it would probably not make things any worse.

6. EDYTHE

EDYTHE Thread Starter

Hello - sorry to confuse you - update/downloading of it works -it's the link that takes me to my 'history' of what i already have updated.. you have to click on the button that says something like:''check your current updates'' ... that's the link that is failing to load... thanks

7. EDYTHE

EDYTHE Thread Starter

Hello - where do i go to check on error codes? is there a website for Microsoft to find these things out? when i want to update, while I.E. is open i go to the top of my screen click on tools/windows updates and it takes me directly to the update area...
    I opened the 'new' updater page and you have to download Active "X" in order for the new area to open/work - how do you feel about doing that? thanks again for your help - edythe

8. CTPhil

CTPhil

Microsoft does have a help center, but you might get more info by simply Googling the error code.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice