1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Applications/Programs reverting to background...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FURYBlakhart, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FURYBlakhart

FURYBlakhart Thread Starter

Hi,

Bene having major issues with my PC for the past 4 weeks or so. Started as just a minor annoyance but has progressed to the point now where I dont even bother to use any full-screen applications or games because of the issue.

This is somewhat hard for me to word so bear with me:

Whenever I have programs or apps running they are seemingly forced into the background. Doesnt matter how many applications are up or what programs they are. My PC just acts as if i have opened another program and have decided to work in that, instead of what I was using before.

For example: If I am talking to someone on Gtalk, the window I am typing into will, for no apparent reason, grey out as if I had just opened a new program and am using that now. I have to re-click the Gtalk screen to bring that back to the fore.

If I am playing a full-screen game...it will blast me back to windows as if i have minimized the game or pushed the windows or alt-tab keys.

In the process of typing this simple post, i have had to reclick my browser 18 times already just to continue typing because my browser gets greyed out, minimized, or whatever you want to call this.

I have watched my program managers and task lists trying to find an errant program or app that is opening itself. I have checked my screen refresh rates, looked at the monitor and can find nothing wrong. I have used a few programs such as Security Task Manager to see if any of the processes running on my PC are harmful. Ive run virus scans and Spybot/Ad-Aware

im at a loss

Any takers?

Edit: guess itd help if you knew what my pc had

Windows XP home edition OS
    2 GB Corsair XMS DDR2 667 RAM
    250GB Western Digital Hard Drive
    Nvidia 7900GS with 512MB

As far as Im aware the graphics drivers are the most up to date ones that work (had issues with previous drivers giving HORRID coloring)

2. FURYBlakhart

3. FURYBlakhart

Still no luck with this

Surely someone has an idea. ANy thoughts or suggestions?

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

See if Making a New User Account Solves the Problem

5. FURYBlakhart

Ok

Creating a new user account did work.

For about 4 days.

Today the second account began doing the same exact thing that the first account was doing.

6. AnotherAlan

AnotherAlan

Can I venture a suggestion?

Have you considered that it might be related to a power management function?

Suggest you go into Start/Settings/Control Panel/Display/Screen Saver [tab] and turn off any screensavers that are set up; then if that isn't it try Start/Settings/Control Panel/Power Options and set "always on".

Also check whether you have any scheduling software setup which might be trying to start an application in the background such as a virus check, malware scan, or check for updates. Turn all such scheduled tasks off, and if the problem goes away turn them on one at a time until you find the culprit.

Another idea: uninstall and reinstall the mouse.

Are you on a LAN? Could the PC be responding to a "wake up" call from some external source? Do you have a modem attached, that could be triggering something....

Hope something in this random bunch of suggestions is helpful.

7. FURYBlakhart

All good suggestions.

But it was none of those. I dont keep a screen saver and I have my PC set to never shut off the monitor, hard disk, or go into sleep or hibernate modes.

The Motherboard does have a Wake On Lan but i have that disabled as well as the wireless connection. Only the Local Area Connection #1 is active on my PC's mainboard.

As for scheduling tasks... I do not allow my PC to automate anything like that for my AVG anti virus, firewall, mozilla or anything else.

I did notice today and yesterday that for no apparent reason an "Add Favorites" menu popped up from Internet Explorer on my pc. Wanted to add a favorites page to a website id never even visited before. Even more odd is that I dont even have IE on my PC anymore... i disabled it when I began using Mozilla.

However, I can find no traces of malware, adbots, cookie trackers or anything of the like which would be attempting to open browsers on me.

Im really baffled, lol

8. AnotherAlan

AnotherAlan

I realise you (like me!) prefer to stay in control, have no need for screensavers or power management, etc., but did you check to see whether one of those annoyances has somehow snuck in without your knowledge? I would take a visit to each of the relevant control panels just to make sure.

To see whether there's something running invisibly in the background you could use EasyCleaner's option to list all startup processes - it also identifies where it is started, and allows you to delete offending registry entries (with backups so you can restore them if they prove to be necessary after all). Download from http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Your suggestion of malware seems the most reasonable explanation. I suggest that you try running a full search by a couple of different virus scanners and a couple of spyware / adware scanners.

I would also suggest you take a look and see what is running in more depth. You can either use ctr-alt-del to bring up the list of processes, then type each one into a search engine or go directly to a site such as Answers That Work (go to http://www.answersthatwork.com/ and select "Task List") or Process Library (http://www.processlibrary.com/).

Another way would be to install Process explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx/

Good luck!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice