"Apply" button not working in "Folder Options"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

henkelis

I have had the Ad Watch bug and get the "create an association in the Folder Options" error message when trying to open a program. Nothing will open and all exe.and lnk. files are missing from Folder Options. When I try to create new exe. files and new lnk files, the "apply" button is not highlighted so it will not save. I can make other changes and the button is there but it still won't save the exe changes. I am at my wits end. I have been on most forums looking for the answer. Please help.

henkelis, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

henkelis

Hi Tufenuf,
thanks for your reply. I have tried downloading the reg file fix before but when I open it, it is just a notepad file. I have opened task manager as you described and gone into file>import but don't know where to find the reg file fix.
Angela

Angela, If you saved that reg file you downloaded you would find it wherever you saved it (desktop, etc.) then you would hilite it then import it following the instructions I previously posted.

Tufenuf

henkelis

But I didn't manage to download and save the reg file. I think I 'm missing something simple here, sorry!!!

henkelis

When I clicked on the Kellys-corner link I got a notepad document. What should I do with that?
When I used the Task Manager the file/import link took me to My Documents. ???

Angela, Try going back to that kellys site and instead of double left clicking on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" right click it and choose Save target as and in the Save in narrow window choose Desktop using the small downward arrow button if necessary. Then you'll be able to find it on your Desktop to import it..

Tufenuf

henkelis

Hi, It won't open because it's an exe. file. It only shows open with not open ????

henkelis

OMG!!! It worked. What is it about computer failure that sends your brain the same way!!!
Thankyou very much.

Hi, It won't open because it's an exe. file. It only shows open with not open ????
Angela, What won't open? The file from Kellys is a .reg file named exefix.reg. Can you please explain.? I'll be here trying to help you for a while yet.

Tufenuf

henkelis

Hi Tufenuf, After a tentative few minutes waiting for the computer to restart, I can now confirm that everything is working properly and Ad Watch will be uninstalled. However, exe and lnk files are still not shown in Folder Options of control panel. Should they be?

Angela, "However, exe and lnk files are still not shown in Folder Options of control panel. Should they be?"

No, they don't have to be showing in Folder Options so I wouldn't worry about that. They don't appear in my Folder Options.

Glad to see that all is working again and have a good weekend.

Tufenuf

exe and lnk files are still not shown in Folder Options of control panel
They Are Not Show There Because Of "EditFlags" Restriction.
If You Want "LNK" To Shop Up In File Types Tab Of Folder Options .. Follow These Steps

Start > Run > regedit > Navigate To

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

On The Right Pane Double Click On "EditFlags" And Put The Value As 0.

Edit - Correction As Per Post #16

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online