1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Apply" button not working in "Folder Options"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by henkelis, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

I have had the Ad Watch bug and get the "create an association in the Folder Options" error message when trying to open a program. Nothing will open and all exe.and lnk. files are missing from Folder Options. When I try to create new exe. files and new lnk files, the "apply" button is not highlighted so it will not save. I can make other changes and the button is there but it still won't save the exe changes. I am at my wits end. I have been on most forums looking for the answer. Please help.

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

henkelis, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

3. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

Hi Tufenuf,
    thanks for your reply. I have tried downloading the reg file fix before but when I open it, it is just a notepad file. I have opened task manager as you described and gone into file>import but don't know where to find the reg file fix.
    Angela

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Angela, If you saved that reg file you downloaded you would find it wherever you saved it (desktop, etc.) then you would hilite it then import it following the instructions I previously posted.

Tufenuf

5. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

But I didn't manage to download and save the reg file. I think I 'm missing something simple here, sorry!!!

6. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

When I clicked on the Kellys-corner link I got a notepad document. What should I do with that?
    When I used the Task Manager the file/import link took me to My Documents. ???

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Angela, Try going back to that kellys site and instead of double left clicking on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" right click it and choose Save target as and in the Save in narrow window choose Desktop using the small downward arrow button if necessary. Then you'll be able to find it on your Desktop to import it..

Tufenuf

8. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

Hi, It won't open because it's an exe. file. It only shows open with not open ????

9. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

OMG!!! It worked. What is it about computer failure that sends your brain the same way!!!
    Thankyou very much.

10. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Angela, What won't open? The file from Kellys is a .reg file named exefix.reg. Can you please explain.? I'll be here trying to help you for a while yet.

Tufenuf

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Angela, Are you now able to open .exe files(programs) and .lnk files(shortcuts)?

Tufenuf

12. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

Hi Tufenuf, After a tentative few minutes waiting for the computer to restart, I can now confirm that everything is working properly and Ad Watch will be uninstalled. However, exe and lnk files are still not shown in Folder Options of control panel. Should they be?

13. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Angela, "However, exe and lnk files are still not shown in Folder Options of control panel. Should they be?"

No, they don't have to be showing in Folder Options so I wouldn't worry about that. They don't appear in my Folder Options.

Glad to see that all is working again and have a good weekend.

Tufenuf

14. devil_himself

devil_himself

They Are Not Show There Because Of "EditFlags" Restriction.
    If You Want "LNK" To Shop Up In File Types Tab Of Folder Options .. Follow These Steps

Start > Run > regedit > Navigate To

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

On The Right Pane Double Click On "EditFlags" And Put The Value As 0.

Edit - Correction As Per Post #16

15. henkelis

henkelis Thread Starter

Thankyou.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice